Underwater Current Magazine Scam??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Davison:
Sure, we're legit, a nonprofit organization, and this is the 31st year. We have a guarantee, so if for any reason during the first year of subscription you don't like it, we'll send all your money back. All of it. We get about 2000 new subs a year, and return money to about 15.

Ben Davison
Publisher
www.undercurrent.org
Hi Ben - Nice to see your reply!

I have a question. Would you send a subscription out to Japan or is it only for the US?

looks like they do. from the subscription page:
"The introductory offer of $39 U.S. (valid for U.S. and Canadian addresses; add $20 more for subscriptions in Mexico, $35 more for other countries)"

Ben Davison:
Sure, we have subscribers in 38 countries. You can get details on our website at www.undercurrent.org

Ben Davison
publisher, undercurrent

Why not let people have both internet access and magazine access for the same price? Just bundle it together once you do that I'll sign up with around a ton of other people. Why not seriously consider it?

Ben Davison:
We get about 2000 new subs a year

Looks like scubaboard didn't kill the magazine star after all! All this talk has made me curious now. Thanks for the link! Free advertising is always great, especially when has both sides of opinion of the product (Thanks Scubaboard!).

Chip

You know,

the concept of competition comes up from time to time. In reality, I am one of the founders of INAC! diving, and this spreads to ScubaBoard as well: It's Not A Competition!

We don't have to fight over the same user or advertiser base: it's simply HUGE. There is plenty for everyone out there and we will attract whomever we attract: no more and no less! This is why I don't sweat new forums or other entrepreneurs trying to get in on the action. We are not even CLOSE to being saturated yet. Yes there are those out there who ascribe to the concept that it is not enough for them to succeed, but they want all others to fail. I hope the BEST for the magazines, and would gladly assist them in any way possible.

I have been a subscriber to Undercurrent for a couple of years now, and also to a pack of the glossy dive periodicals, Dive Training being the most valuable of them IMHO. I agree that Scubaboard is generally more valuable to the seasoned user, but the Undercurrent chapbook puts an awful lot of concise info in front of you without having to search (much) for it, and it was a real help with some of my trip planning at the time. I still refer to it at times, and I do look forward to the monthly arrival of that plain paper little magazine from them. I just wish it was bigger, but then I suppose the cost would go up, and it is already rather pricy. I do believe that Ben gives new subscribers a deal, though, but I can't remember what it was. Ben?

robbcayman:
Why not let people have both internet access and magazine access for the same price? Just bundle it together once you do that I'll sign up with around a ton of other people. Why not seriously consider it?

I like this idea.

I agree with the assessment of "Undercurrent". I have subscribed for a few years now and look forward to it's arrival. Comes across as unbiased. They do go to some rather remote places that I would probably never end up at, but sometimes fun to read about. I have used the chapbook when researching a place my local dive shop is planning a trip to. I agree that allowing access to the online portion with a paid print subscription would be nice - bundled as you said.
The only thing I would change or add would be some unbiased gear reviews - (something that could be added to the annual chapbook???) The reviews of gear in the advertisement-supported glossies seem everything is wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom