Underwater fighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh, most military divers are of the working class variety (ie. building things, fixing things, looking at things) and while they do have some training in combatives both above and below water, they aren't an underwater infantry.

Also, military divers don't generally work too far from their home ship. This means that if two antagonistic countries have divers in the water near each other, more than likely the guns are already blazing.

As far as SEALs and other special forces are concerned, those guys are in their own little world full of all kinds of crazy toys. I know that Heckler & Koch invented the world's first underwater pistol (The P11) which looks like a crazy revolver and fires metal spikes, but I don't know of any actual underwater engagements involving it's use. I really don't even know much about it's use period underwater, seeing as it's the size of a soup can and has a range not much further than the average speargun. Most teams would likely scoff at carrying it as they prefer equipment that can perform many functions while maintaining a small form factor on the body.

But with all that not withstanding, I'm sure that if two dive teams from mutually unfriendly countries just blundered into each other and actually figured out "Oh Crap, that's the enemy!!" without their topside support knowing first, a fight could possibly ensue. It would likely be very vicious, think Gladiator or 300, as the lack of ranged weapons would mean that everyone's going to be getting really close to each other. Lots of mask and regulator removals, kinda like diving a cattle boat except it's all on purpose.

Peace,
Greg

The red country has a nifty gadget called the ASM-DT. I don't have the post count to put up a link, but a google search will turn up info.

Not a ballistics expert but I believe a bullet is self contained for the ignition and burn sources.
vaccum?.. No this is going to drive me nuts.. Hold on while I contact NASA

When I was playing a computer game the other night I had to sneak onto an oil rig to rescue some hostages. I had flippers, rebreather and a gun. The gun could be fired from underwater as I used it to shoot some guards near my exit point.

It was in a computer game so it must be true.

LMAO too true!

Bullets contain a propellant and an oxidizer, so you could potentially fire one on the Moon.

As well as underwater. Guns fire underwater, charges can be detonated underwater, there are underwater flares...

None of these is pulling oxygen out of the water for their ignition/combustion/burn.

I imagine that a Navy SEAL would be able to answer this one. The few that I've talked to sounded pretty confident that they could take out an enemy underwater, although they didn't go into detail.

Wouldn't surprise me the way they train.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom