Underwater hockey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ant01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who plays underwater hockey? I find it one of the best sports to keep fit and active for diving and generally keeping in shape.

We recently held the South African Interclub championships, if you follow u/w hockey you can check the results and the event on SAUWH INTERCLUBS 2009

About to head out to practice right now!

I play in West Palm Beach, FL. Great sport and absolutely great training for snorkelling/diving, as your skills quickly become second nature.

Who plays underwater hockey? ....

Underwater Hockey?
Do you play it Free diving or Scuba?

How does it work?
What are the rules?

Is this something I could add to our underwater game/simulator ?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The gist is, the game is played on the bottom of a pool, six players on a side, using a short stick to push, pass, and shoot a heavy puck into the opposing team's goal.

Youtube has lots of good video, like this:
YouTube - underwater hockey

The standard UWH gear is mask, fins, snorkel, stick, glove, and water polo cap--scuba gear is not allowed. I know some people who have played using scuba, but that is not the recognized version of the game. And I think that UWH with scuba would be somewhat dangerous. It is a fast game, and a common defensive move is curling--turning quickly away from the opposing player and swimming a tight circle to protect the puck--which could potentially put a tank into the opposing player's face.

Wikipedia has a nice page on the game:
Underwater hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a good summary of the rules, Whitehorse Underwater Hockey has posted this. The one correction needed is that the game is actually 2 x 15 minute halves:
http://www.yukondiver.com/services/hockeyrules.pdf

Here is a longer version of the rules:
World AquaChallenge Association Referees Guild - WAA AquaChallenge Rules

I love underwater hockey but find it challenging to swim through all that ice! :D
There's a guy here that has a picture of himself on the bottom of the ice, holding a stick. Gotta love ice divers..

I used to play at UCSB. Tried to get it going in Anchorage, AK, but not enough interest. When I taught a lifeguard in Galena I discovered they play it for physical education at the school. There just might be hope. Galena is too far too go, requiring either a boat, snow machine, or airplane to get there. It is an off the road system community.

Back
Top Bottom