Underwater Light Dude LD26 came in very handy last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to take a moment to post about a non-diving experience I had last night where the Underwater Light Dude LD 15/96 came in very handy. About 1:30 A.M. I was awoken out of a sound sleep by my neighbor from across the street frantically banging on my door. The house next door to him was engulfed in fire and he and his wife had barely been able to leave their home before the fire started spreading to their yard. The fire spread to his fence, electric pole, leaves and wood pile.
I had them sit in our living room and wrapped them in blankets as I quickly dressed. Their next door neighbor was unaccounted for and I feared the worst. My wife quickly gathered two flashlights, one of them my UWLD 26. She knows it is my preferred light for visibility and it could be operated safely outside of the water. As I sprinted across the road, trying to ascertain whether I could safely get to the house with the light, I was relieved to see the front door open through the smoke and the man’s Black Lab. I shined the light into the house and called out to my neighbor and was relieved to hear him answer me. With my light I was able to help him exit the home safely and even move his vehicle to my side of the street.
Our volunteer fire department’s first vehicle soon arrived but they could not see the driveway going to the main house on fire. I was able to signal them with the light and I signaled the next several engines with it, as well.
First light showed one home severely damaged but the second one had only minor damage. Only a few minutes, and the heroic efforts of our fire department, kept it from being a total loss. During this horrible experience, which could have been much worse, I’m glad to have had my light. I bought it, like most people, for diving but I quickly learned how invaluable having a canister type light that can throw this much light outside of the water can be. When I hit the switch, it immediately went to the highest setting but like it’s designed to do, it went into the 3rd mode automatically. I spent several hours with the light on in this setting, even after not having recharged it since diving last weekend at Ginnie, and it still threw out an amazing amount of light.

I apologize for this being a non-diving related posting for this light but I feel like credit is definitely due to Bobby for making such good lights. This light has been absolutely bullet proof over the past couple of years I've owned it. During the fire it was invaluable as an excellent source of light and by design having the ability to run outside of the water made it equally as valuable.

Last edited:
I apologize for this being a non-diving related posting for this light but I feel like credit is definitely due to Bobby for making such good lights. This light has been absolutely bullet proof over the past couple of years I've owned it. During the fire it was invaluable as an excellent source of light and by design having the ability to run outside of the water made it equally as valuable.
Awesome story, glad it turned out as well as it did :) If an item is a potential life saver (or it actually has saved a life), it is invaluable to me.

Back
Top Bottom