Underwater logging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wondering if any of you folks is into underwater logging? Over the last several years I have been exploring ponds and lakes in northern N.H. Besides finding a wealth of old items, I see Big old Long straight trees. These are all cut by axe and only a little in silt. I did go down with an old lgging saw and cut a section of cherry. what I found confermed ''Dense forest growth'' I know this wood would be valuable to someone. How much red tape is involved? Just lifting them, and floating them on a trailer would be an ordeal. BUT FUN!!!!

A. Who owns the land that the pond is on?, B. You have to be able to raise, lift, transport and sell the logs = $$$$, C. Those morons on TV are not working in accordance with OSHA regulations, so bone up on how to do commercial diving work before you get a big fat fine.

Underwater logging = :rofl3: to a commercial diver

Several items need to be explored for your state and there are federal regulations also involved.

Your dept. of Natural resources control interior waters so a permit is required
A full plan needs to be submitted. EPA then gets involved as to the disruption of underwater and sediment disturbance.
Any logs with ADD marks are deemed an archealogical item and cannot be disturbed (Log Co. marks)
Finally the most expensive is the liability insurance regarding any destruction that is payable to the State in case of shoreline damage when removing logs from the water.

Several items need to be explored for your state and there are federal regulations also involved.

Your dept. of Natural resources control interior waters so a permit is required
A full plan needs to be submitted. EPA then gets involved as to the disruption of underwater and sediment disturbance.
Any logs with ADD marks are deemed an archealogical item and cannot be disturbed (Log Co. marks)
Finally the most expensive is the liability insurance regarding any destruction that is payable to the State in case of shoreline damage when removing logs from the water.

Thank you horsediver This is Very helpful

A. Who owns the land that the pond is on?, B. You have to be able to raise, lift, transport and sell the logs = $$$$, C. Those morons on TV are not working in accordance with OSHA regulations, so bone up on how to do commercial diving work before you get a big fat fine.

Underwater logging = :rofl3: to a commercial diver

This is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there are enough logs involved you might be able to work out a deal with a sawmill/lumber operator, and walk away with a healthy finder's fee. Sawmills and lumber operators pay a nice finders fee around here, when someone brings them a business opportunity, and they are set up to do the actual extraction, and deal with government/insurance issues also.

It does depend on who has legal claim to the logs in your state.

When I had my onshore commercial business in Vancouver, I had two divers and their support crew on contract to extract missing choker chains (chains attaching the log boom when they float the logs down the river) and on the retreaval of "sinkers." It didn't pay as well as the shipping industry (Vancouver harbour), but every little bit helped. :)

FYI:

In NH the state owns any body of water over 15 acres by law. This may be an issue.

On top of that, public access to state owned lakes and ponds is not always available as many lakes and ponds are surrounded by private land. The farther north you go the more access you will have.

Back
Top Bottom