Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C'mon. Let's keep it simple. All we need is a cheap devise to help find our way back to the boat. It's sort of like the cell phones of today. Mine does everything including playing Yankee Doodle. All I need is a way to make a phone calls.

C'mon. Let's keep it simple. All we need is a cheap devise to help find our way back to the boat. It's sort of like the cell phones of today. Mine does everything including playing Yankee Doodle. All I need is a way to make a phone calls.

But you bought the one that plays Yankee Doodle :eyebrow:

Anywhoot, there are systems (Short Baseline, not Ultra-Short Baseline) that are relatively cheaper. However, it's rare to find an individual that will pay $7-8000 for a tracking system that will track where he is underwater. A $7-8000 system would only tell the person on the surface where the diver is; now if the diver wants to know where he is you are looking at about another $4-5000.

For a simple navigation system that gives you distance and bearing, I think there were a few that tried it to no luck. Most of them all failed, in the long run.

Every piece/component you add to the cost is going to add at least twice as much to the end-user price. So adding a compass, although may be cheap, will not be so cheap in the long run. Maybe you can take a regular transmitter/receiver beacon that already gives you distance and attach a very basic compass to it?

How about just a simple sonar device that tells me that there are 4 big things swimming over there (divers, sea lions, big fish, sharks, etc) or a large thing floating over there (boat, large diver, whale, big fish, shark). Like a fancy fish finder that's waterproof for depth or something, point and look.

Twistedgray::Try buying a cell phone that only makes and accepts calls.

How about just a simple sonar device that tells me that there are 4 big things swimming over there (divers, sea lions, big fish, sharks, etc) or a large thing floating over there (boat, large diver, whale, big fish, shark). Like a fancy fish finder that's waterproof for depth or something, point and look.

I don't know if there is a simple sonar for that job. You would need some sort of display and right there is $$$$

Well the kite string is out I guess . . .

I tried a trail of bread crumbs......

I don't know the how's and such but I just watched a special about the SDV (SEAL Deliver Vehicle). It's a 22' sub used to covertly get Navy Seals to a designated point. They mentioned very briefly that it uses sonar for obstacle avoidance and "a doppler system that lets them know where they are in the world." Not sure how a doppler (radar I'm guessing) would do that but obviously they have some sort of underwater navigation figured out.

Back
Top Bottom