Underwater Photography Ethics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello my fellow Underwater photographers, I want to throw a thought or two out to the forum on Photography Ethics. First a little background, the other night I had my camera on a dive and I came accross a nice Nudibranch, he was down in a difficult location, but I had a few minutes for two or three shots. I blew it, I didnt get the exposure correct, so I hesitated, and then consciously decided to pick the animal up and place him in a location where I had a lot of time to get a picture of him. I think you can see how I am framing the question; are you comfortable manipulating Plants or Animals in your pursuit of the "good shot" I never did end up getting the image I wanted, maybe it was fate or something, I have never touched a animal in this way before, I have on occasion moved a piece of Seaweed or some small object but thats about it. What say you?

I say NO emphatically. It is not acceptable UW Photo pratice to pick animals up and pose them. Do your best with what nature provides. I don't feel that holding aside a leaf of seaweed falls into the same category as dislodging and relocating.

We do not know what impact we are having by moving something so the best bet is to leave it alone. Besides, it adds to the challenge of getting that great shot :wink:

The marine life we encounter is not there for us to do with as we like. We are visitors and should behave in a respectful manner at all times.

DoubleDip, I tip my hat to you for your honesty and broaching a subject fraught with figurative landmines.

My photography ethics come from my prior employment as a photojournalist, where you are free to shoot what you see, but not be a participant. Active manipulation of the facts is frowned upon.

I can honestly say I've never moved a critter for the sake of photographic composition. Others might, if it caused no harm and they replaced it.

I suppose I'd push an errant frond of kelp out of the way, but that's about it. That's just my background talking, though.

All the best, James

Personally I do try not to touch things like Nudibranch just because they look fragile and I don't exactly have the gentlest hand. Some diveguides seem to know what they are doing and are very careful so I would not say no but certainly I tried not to move them myself. Of course once in awhile, I have been known to herd ghost pipefish to a nicer nearby background :D

Another reason I like to use zoom lens rather than prime lens so my work space is a bit more flexible eventhough the picture quality may not be quite as good as the best prime lens.

Whew... reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about slipping in on another photographer's subject and stealing a shot off of his/her slaved strobes.

To the actual question... I don't think moving/posing critters is a good idea.

What about guiding a swimming turtle to a friend who is holding a camera? Would you consider this unacceptable behavior?

I have posed a few nudibranchs and have altered the course of many different fish, rays, and turtles. I don't think any of them are dead because of it. Reading the old Jim Church and Kathy Church books reveal a series of divers who routinely used feeding or physical manipulation to alter the interactions with the underwater realm.

I don't think it's wrong as long as the animal isn't harmed. It's much less harmful than the plethora of spearfishermen who enter the water everyday to plunder the stocks.

I have been known to feed a couple of sea urchins to some fish in the past usually after I get stunk by one :(
Personally I don't like feeding (including chumming etc) just because the picture does not look natural, nothing against it morally per se but don't see much point :D
Now, if I can somehow attract a whaleshark closer to me by sacrificing a few urchins (or divebuddies!), I could be pursuaded.

Back
Top Bottom