Underwater Pyramid structure Yonaguni Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Nygren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently came across an article about an underwater structure found of Yonaguni Japan in 1987. There is controversy over whether it is a man made structure or naturally occurring structure in nature. If it is indeed man made, that would mean it was sunk by some significant natural phenomena, they had scuba back then, or it was created in the ice age when the water levels were lower. What are some other opinions? Have they actually determined what it is yet? Who says man made? Who says natural formation? my vote is man made, and it is definitely a place I would like to check out for myself.

There have been several "follow-up" investigations/films made about the structure :cool2:[Google it]....Let me know if you or any others ever decide to dive it....It's one of the top 10 on my "bucket list" :D......

This site interests me as well, looks intriguing, close to home (~200km), very nice diving in area - I'll be checking it out within the next few years, just haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

In my opinion (which in all honesty isn't worth much :D) I say naturally occuring. The tectonic activity in the area is mind-blowing, and who knows exactly what circumstances are necessary in order to create the magnificent structures we see at the location in question.

Along the west coast of Taiwan there are islands known now as Penghu (previosuly, Pescadores) near which there is a "wall" that upon initial inspection looks man-made. Little vigorous debate has ever occured regarding this site ... few have dived it, and seemingly less even care ... but some early expert opinions claim volcanism/tectonic/seabed upheaval/etc. Again, another site I'd like to see for myself, for no other reason than that it is underwater :wink:

Just along our NE shore (again, about ~200km away from the Yonaguni site), we see some remarkable rock structures - flat surfaces that may appear to have been chiselled by master masons, 90 degree angles, step-like formations, wonderful stuff, really - but nobody argues these to be anything near spectacular (or signs of visitors from another planet? oooooo ...) since they are located curbside, not 30-40m below the surface.

there are several geomorphic processes that can cause this to happen. One being sheeting, this is pressure unloading of the substrate. Second is the fracturing along the surfaces of the rock, depending on the rock type there are angles that can occur due to this process (also blocking). If it was a glacial process there wouldn't be any stepping of the rock surface, it would be smoothed and rounded.

From what I have seen this seems to me a blocking and cracking along the fractures that natural occur on the formation of this feature. I would like to see it myself and the bottom of the feature. It is also made up of limestone, and with defined layers this would cause blocking and right angles to occur.

This is just my speculation and with a background in geomorphic features its a close guess on what I have seen.

To have a real understanding one would have to make a detailed map also map the geology there and along the coast.

......For example, Kimura said, he has identified quarry marks in the stone, rudimentary characters etched onto carved faces, and rocks sculpted into the likenesses of animals.
"The characters and animal monuments in the water, which I have been able to partially recover in my laboratory, suggest the culture comes from the Asian continent," he said.
"One example I have described as an underwater sphinx resembles a Chinese or ancient Okinawan king." .........

Can geomorphic processes really do that?

I saw the article too.
Does anyone know if detailed maps are avialable (and how to get them) so we can add this interesting site to the simulator?

Zen Divers - the local Japanese SB forum - would be the best place to seek maps.

These guys are diving the site more than anyone else.

Myself and staff have 100's of dives on these structures with clients and with Dr Kimura and numerous other scientists that have been studying these formations for years. The overall consensus from scientists that have dove the site is that it is a man modified structure- not built like the Egyptian pyramids but rather carved into an existing natural structure. There have been numerous stone tools and animal carving found in the area. For those interested in diving there we run tours with English speaking guides year round.

Back
Top Bottom