Underwater route planners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone,

My nav is awful... I dont trust myself half the time.

Let's just say that and not go off topic :)

Is there a watch, BCD clip device, that can take the courses i'm going, and when i turn around and go back, be on the same route back?

Kinda like GPS underwater (though GPS does lose signals when dropping below)

Have a look at the PADI Nav Finder. It works in conjunction with a compass.

padi-nav-finder_60051.jpg

There have been several attempts at electronic underwater navigation aids, some good, some bad, some expensive and some a king's ransom. Here's a thread for you to look at.

I saw a guy use a Scout once several years ago. He'd tie the transmitter off to the boat ladder and use it to find his way back. It was in the Bahamas so I just looked for the boat..lol.

Underwater SCUBA Diver Navigation Devices

Hey Everyone,

My nav is awful... I dont trust myself half the time.

Let's just say that and not go off topic :)

Is there a watch, BCD clip device, that can take the courses i'm going, and when i turn around and go back, be on the same route back?

Kinda like GPS underwater (though GPS does lose signals when dropping below)

If you mean a device that would find the direct line to your exit point, then there have been several devices on the market that involved a beacon and receivers that would show you where the exit point is. These devices were "LoS." If there were any large obstacles between the receiver and the beacon, they wouldn't give you the return signal. One company that used to make such product, made a system that actually worked very well. I still have their system but they stopped making it many years ago. ScubaPro sold a system for a couple of years that not only would show the direction to the beacon, but also would show the distance to the exit point (I have one here in Libya somewhere. I should dig it out and use it this weekend for fun). SP stopped also selling it several years ago.

From recent reports I have seen on the internet and news from this past DEMA, there appears to be a company that is marketing a more sophisticated system. I don't think that they are taking orders or shipping it yet.

All of the above would show you the most direct line to the beacon but would NOT show you a route that involves turns. If you are looking for a device that works like your car GPS where it would show a non-straight line return route, then it doesn't exist and I don't think that it would come to the market any time soon if at all.

A buddy with a good sense of navigation.

On a more serious note, what might work is for you to lead on dives, with a buddy that is good on navigation. He could lead you back if needed, but nothing beats experience for learning to navigate underwater.

I just keep a mental map in my head, and more or less plot distances and directions to various points as we pass.

You could even practice this sort of navigation on dry land. Just go to a big open field, drop a marker or plant a pole, then start walking around in more or less random distances and directions while monitoring your course with a compass, trying to keep mental track. Look down or shield your eyes so you can't cheat. Every so often look back for your marker to see if it is where you expected.

I saw a guy use a Scout once several years ago. He'd tie the transmitter off to the boat ladder and use it to find his way back. It was in the Bahamas so I just looked for the boat..lol.

I have the sport and it works very well. Spend a lot of time taking pictures and less time worrying about finding the boat.

(I have one here in Libya somewhere. I should dig it out and use it this weekend for fun).

Hi Burhan, pls, bring it with you next dive, i would like to test it......:wink:

see you next weekend :D.....Arebi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom