Underwater web camera at WhyteCliff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, the uw camera is not stolen yet in Bonaire (where you do not lock your car while diving - because it will be robbed anyway), but it will be stolen in Whytecliff... Stealing is something that might happen of course, but it's very unlikely...We'll bolt it properly to the bottom and attach a scary bylaw table.

Come on guys... we just need some sponsoring here and project will go. I guess any local 3G provider will give a free data transfer plan, if we will put company's banner/logo on the website. Maybe they even pay for hardware - it's not a huge money at the end. I can estimate as 2K CAD or even less.

I guess any local 3G provider will give a free data transfer plan, if we will put company's banner/logo on the website. Maybe they even pay for hardware - it's not a huge money at the end. I can estimate as 2K CAD or even less.
You'd also need a computer to act as a webserver somewhere to forward the 3G signal onto the internet along with someone willing to maintain all that hardware.

Technically speaking, we need:

1. a 3G web camera in uw housing bolted down to the bottom
3. some sort of power source - better if solar, wind, waves, etc...
4. a web site

I have few websites on a hosting site, with FTP access and 24h support, etc... Can register a new .CA domain and setup web camera to upload pictures to website, every 1-5 min via FTP. Any web cameras can do that.

Since it's my idea and I am an IT guy - I can support it as long, as I live in Vancouver. I dive at Whytecliff every week anyway...

I can donate a low light B/W waterproof camera head and cable...not 3G though. Needs 12VDC for power.

I guess first of all we need to get a permission from park administration for camera installation. It's a marine protected area - without a permission that's all juts a blah blah...

Who wants to send a request to West Vancouver District and explain them why we need it and what benefits it could bring to park, etc... ? URL is here - West Vancouver Welcomes You.

I afraid that's my English is not fluent enough for this...

So far, I spoke spoke to IT company that installed UW camera at Bonaire island.

They said the price for their wired camera + housing is around 2K USD. Particularly at Bonaire, they have dropped 120m Ethernet cable from the nearest residential house (owner allowed them to use his Internet connection for images uploading). The power comes through the same Ethernet line.

They have developed all necessary protocols and special brackets to keep the camera safely at its location. Also they have mention that one of their cameras will be installed soon somewhere at Alaska.

The camera's web site has about 2000 unique hits per day - so, it's very popular.

Also I've sent an email to Parks and Protected Areas Division department, explaining the idea and now awaiting for a feedback.

Below is the answer I've received from the director of Parks and Protected Areas Division department in Victoria.

----
Thank you for writing us about this. Whytecliff Park is managed by the city of West Vancouver and is not part of the provincial park system. We are not sure if they have management responsibility for the foreshore. You should contact the Director for Parks and Community Services at 604 925 7200 to find out their interest in supporting this idea.

We think this is a great concept and if the dive community wants to pursue it at marine park location the province manages such as Porteau Cove.
----

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom