Underwater web camera at WhyteCliff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kris,

Sure, in case of 3G data transfer, antenna must be fixed above high tide level.

Yacht's wind turbines, voltage regulators and batteries aren't very expensive, but definitely will add some extra costs to the project.

PoE is the standard an cheapest way, but if camera s is 100+ m far from an Ethernet switch and PoE injector - things becomes more complex and expensive too.

I agree regarding vandalism and equipment stealing... Unfortunately, it's not possible (or VERY expensive) to make the solution 100% vandal-proof.
You're right that the options you've mentioned may not be expensive -- though they're intended for installation in a vehicle, with relatively easy access to repair / replace as necessary.

This installation is fixed, and space is at a premium. Even if you COULD find somewhere to mount the antenna and solar/wind system, you're going to have trouble finding a place to store the batteries.

This installation is fixed, and space is at a premium. Even if you COULD find somewhere to mount the antenna and solar/wind system, you're going to have trouble finding a place to store the batteries.

Technically speaking, anything is possible and not expensive with a careful planning and approach... I more worrying about equipment's safety. Someone mentioned a private waterfront property. I do not have any friends in Vancouver, who lives near shoreline...

Anyone?

Technically speaking, anything is possible and not expensive with a careful planning and approach... I more worrying about equipment's safety. Someone mentioned a private waterfront property. I do not have any friends in Vancouver, who lives near shoreline...

Anyone?
Given the favourable response from the Province, perhaps Porteau is a good first install... they may even supply power and a building for it.

Getting ADSL into the Whytecliffe snack shop would make things easier, go wireless from the top of the hill down to a float attached to the anchor block where the camera would reside.

Having the local dive shops on board to pay for the Internet would be a ideal, having an underwater camera would benefit them... also, a webcam over looking the bay would be a good idea as well, or at least a good starting point for the project.

James, any boater will be able to remove antenna from float. Talking about WhyteCliff, I was thinking about mounting 3G antenna, small wind generator and battery box on lighthouse. It's stable, high enough and it's protected federal property. Maybe the last one can keep some people from stealing the equipment. Some, but of course not all...

I still not sure if FOC on any other organization in charge, will allow attach anything to the lighthouse... Need to work on that.

Last edited:
This is what you need:Bedford Basin Ocean Monitoring Buoy
It's probably pretty cheap too.
When I was in Halifax, they had turbidity meters all over the place measuring visibility (I think through Dalhousie University) and you could look it up online. The local divers used it all the time as a reference.

So far I know camera has a temperature sensor and can put temperature data on the picture... Of course a bit offset, since camera produces some heat (~3-4W) but not significant, I guess...

I've found interesting UW camera project in Singapore - http://sensor6.nchc.org.tw/
It's running since 2007 -

Make sure you've selected 640x480 x 512 kbps stream.

There is a small puffer-fish that likes posing for the camera. :)

[UPD]

Since 2004(!)

Last edited:
Ok, guys - the underwater camera is here. It's a color, 3Mpx/20fps, security IP-camera in waterproof enclosure. It should be online soon at http://www.racerocks.com, webcasting the live video from Race Rocks island waters. I'm currently working on this project and also looking for other installation opportunities.

IMG_7553.JPG
IMG_7551.JPG

Back
Top Bottom