"Undeserved" DCS hits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'Unexplained' works for me in the context of this thread

The symptoms described in the OW DCS thread included "skin blotches, nausea, was tired, her joints hurt". That doesn't sound like lung overexpansion to me

'Unexplained' works for me in the context of this thread

The symptoms described in the OW DCS thread included "skin blotches, nausea, was tired, her joints hurt". That doesn't sound like lung overexpansion to me

Skin blotches could.

I really think we know so little that all of those cold or could not be. I don't want to get into too much because frankly I am not expert enough on the symptoms, and frankly, I'm not sure anyone really is. It just seemed like the dive profiles and her actions made a lung overexpansion likely and DCS unlikely. Symptoms of the two are notoriously similar. I am not making an argument one way or the other--just suggesting a possibility. I have heard people who know more than I argue that lung overexpansion could be at the heart of some unexplained DCS cases, and I am just passing along a thought.

Symptoms of the two are notoriously similar. I am not making an argument one way or the other--just suggesting a possibility. I have heard people who know more than I argue that lung overexpansion could be at the heart of some unexplained DCS cases, and I am just passing along a thought.

Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that.

I think what we need to do is just throw the term "undeserved" into the garbage can because we don't really know what is deserved and what isn't.

Agree, its a hopelessly unscientific, non-medical, and vague term which does nothing to communicate the circumstances of the symptoms yet manages to assign "blame"

thumbs down on "undeserved" and "deserved"

Even "unexplained" is a load of crap yes?

Like JC said, it's always the guy who is overweight and totally out of shape that is like, "I didn't do anything wrong, I don't know how this could have happened"

I'm sure that if you truly delve into the causes of every DCS hit, you'd find at least a POSSIBLE and maybe even probable explanation.

Interesting. That's the first I recall hearing that.

I read it originally in a Dive Training article about 3 years ago. The author was reporting a theory--just a theory--that some unexplained hits were actually a combination of the two that began with lung overexpansion. The mechanism was not explained.

In the worst case of bends with which I have been personally associated, the chamber doctor was certainly of the opinion that the hit was deserved. The diver did three days of diving that included fairly aggressive deco dives (but within the ascent protocol being used). This was done at about 4,600 feet altitude. On the third day the diver did an aggressive deco dive and then left for home about two hours later, a 6 hour drive that took him (after 3 more hours) to an elevation of about 7,000 feet. In anticipation of that climb, the diver breathed from the unused O2 tanks all the way to the 7,000 elevation as he drove.

The next day the chamber doctor gave him a stern lecture and a copy of Bruce Weinke's book about altitude diving to read during his first Navy 6 treatment the next day.

So let's say it was indeed a deserved hit. I was his buddy that weekend. I did every dive with him, and I drove home with him. The only difference between us was that after we were back in Boulder (about 5,400 feet), my home was at that altitude and he went home to 7,500 feet. He started feeling symptomatic during the night and put himself on O2.

As for me, I have never felt better after a weekend of diving like that.

Edit - never mind, misread that second to last paragraph.

A little above my head, but I'll jump in with a question anyway. Would that give any indication on whether immune systems would play a part in DCS?

There are studies, and I'll have to ask Gene to either look 'em up or I will have to do the leg work myself, into how the body's immune system reacts to bubbles knocking around in the bloodstream... bubbles are little foreign bodies which activate the complement complex, et al.

Heard a presentation one time from a nurse practitioner who did the research for her master's degree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom