"Undeserved" DCS hits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but would you agree you're at higher risk due to that?
That's the theory, yet I have yet to be bent. Now mind you, I am working on my weight for that and other reasons: no need to tempt fate.

Still, while I do aggressive dives, I also do way more than the recommended deco, often doubling and tripling the time, even on dives where I have no deco obligation.

That's the theory, yet I have yet to be bent. Now mind you, I am working on my weight for that and other reasons: no need to tempt fate.

Still, while I do aggressive dives, I also do way more than the recommended deco, often doubling and tripling the time, even on dives where I have no deco obligation.
What are you calling "aggressive" if you're doing 2-3x the deco?

To tell divers they have had unearned, undeserved or unexplained hits, is not about science, it is about responsibility. Removing the responsibility from the diver, may make some Jackass crybaby feel better about himself, but it completely undermines diver safety.

If you got bent, you did not do enough hang time.

If you claim to be a Jackass, who am I to disagree with you?

Cheers

JC

Tell that to Denton Myers or Liz Halbach

Jackass

I don't think anybody is arguing that a diver doesn't need to take into account his physical condition and the specifics of the dive, when deciding how much decompression is required. But it is quite clear that there ARE dives where those factors are taken into account, as much as we know how to do it, and the diver suffers anyway.

No one is trying to say that divers don't have to be careful, thoughtful and conservative. But people using best practices get bent. One of my instructors said, "If you haven't been bent yet, you haven't been diving often enough, long enough." I don't think that is absolutely true (and I hope not to prove it myself) but there is enough truth to it that there should be no opprobrium associated with a DCS case, unless there was clear carelessness or poor technique.

Frankly, I could care less if you think it's undeserved or deserved. If I got bent, I'd care more about the fact that I got bent and how I could help avoid it in the future. It's kind of like falling off your roof doing work on the house and ending up in the hospital. Who gives a crap if it's your fault or not, you're not psyched to end up in the hospital, and how can I help avoid the same scenario in the future would be more important to me.

Deserved, undeserved, expected, unexpected: it's all sugar coating. Take the information and learn what you can from it.

That taking a hit means you didn't do enough in-water deco may be true*, but it's a 'gee whiz' conclusion, akin to telling someone who ran of fuel "you tried to drive too far."

"You should have done more deco" isn't a particularly helpful statement.

*I say 'may be' because there are situations, extreme cold for example, where staying in the water may not be effective.

One of my instructors said, "If you haven't been bent yet, you haven't been diving often enough, long enough." I don't think that is absolutely true (and I hope not to prove it myself)

It's definitely not absolutely true that getting bent is inevitable, and I think it's a pretty poor attitude coming from an instructor

It's definitely not absolutely true that getting bent is inevitable, and I think it's a pretty poor attitude coming from an instructor

You obviously don't understand statistics.

Deserved, undeserved, expected, unexpected: it's all sugar coating. Take the information and learn what you can from it.

The sooner scuba can get it through their thick heads that DCS is a sports injury not unlike tearing ones ACL in soccer, a rotator cuff injury in tennis, or concusion in football the better off the sport will be. Certainly from a reporting standpoint as well as time-to-treatment which is rediculously delayed due to denial.

You obviously don't understand statistics.

Actually I think you are the one who doesn't understand statistics - but do go ahead and "explain" why you don't agree with my statement

That way there can be a "discussion" about it, and someone may "learn" something

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom