Uneducated fool.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
Taken from a webpage:
BOY ATTACKS SHARK AND GETS BITTEN

Florida USA. Kevin Morrison, a 16 year old scuba diver found a 24" (2 foot) Nurse shark lying on the bottom. He decided to see what happened if he pulled it by the tail when it turned and bit him on the left pectoral muscle (chest). The shark would not release it's grip when the teenager was pulled onto the boat and the shark had to be surgically removed at the hospital. The shark died. The boy lived.

Is it just me or do these stories seem to be getting more and more popular.
We talk about how sharks are feared. Has anyone considered that all this advertising on sharks being safe will have the reverse effect?
Now we have 16 year olds approaching and annoying sharks - no wonder the number of attacks are increasing!

Also taken from the webpage (ok its older but it still shows a pattern) :

A University in Florida USA that keeps a file on shark attacks released its finding in June. The man in control of the study, Matthew Collahan said the number of shark attacks reported had increased from 36 in 1996 to 56 last year. USA had the greatest number of reported attacks with 32. Australia was second with 5 attacks. Despite the large number of attacks there were no fatalities in the USA. Attacks in Florida rose from 13 in 1996 to 25 in 1997.

Any views?

Maybe they didn't see the movie "Jaws" often enough...

Seriously, if the guy didn't know he was going to be bitten, then he is a real fool.
How can a diver this dumb obtain a diving certification card??

We know sharks are dangerous, but they deserve respect. They are the kings of our seas and they are an endangered species.

I saw this on some tv program. Not very smart if you ask me. I rmembered what show it was. Bet you can never guess.

If you said Extreme Contact you are right. They are always pestering animals.

Most of the shark attacks in Florida are just that, attacks. Florida has a huge amount of vacationers year round and most of these people are anxious to hit the beach! The majority of these shark attacks occur on the East Coast where the Gulf Stream passes close to the coast. Most often it's someone waveboarding, surfing or just playing in the surf that gets bitten. However, there's always a few people who like to play with animals... To bad common sense can't be taught.
Bob

hate to sound callous but he got what was coming to him. Pity about the shark dying though.

Education should strike a balance between making people aware that these animals are not vindictive killing machines that should be villified and hunted to extinction, but neither are they fluffy creature that we can swim right up to and hug. They are amazing creature that were on this planet and in our oceans way before us and should be respected.

Anyway, 'nuff ranting, think it's time for some more "darwinism" in action.

stupid people who taunt wild animals certainly "get their
just desserts" but the statement sharks were around long
before us assumes the THEORY of evolution is a fact. Evolution has never been observed or proved, therefore it is a THEORY; and a poor one at that.

I beg to differ about that fact, but concede that you may have differing beliefs/opinions to my own. As far as I am aware animals such as sharks/crocodiles etc were around during the period of the dinousaurs when it is widely accepted that higher mammals such as man did not exist.

But hey, the world would be awfully boring if we all agreed on everything. :)

oh, just realised that you might have been referring to this, Green_Manelishi:
"time for some more "darwinism" in action" (sorry haven't figured out how to quote yet)

I was actually referring to the fact that stupid people tend to do stupid things which end up killing them, hence stopping their genes from being passed on. There's an annual "Darwin Awards" which tends to circulate that gives awards to those who have done a service to humanity by being so ridiculously stupid that they ended up dead because of it. I'd call taunting a shark pretty d**m stupid, wouldn't you?

i would certainly agree that taunting a shark is grade-A
moronic.

"generally accepted" by those (scientists and otherwise) who
choose to believe that all we see around us is a cosmic
accident and interpret the fossil record to match what they choose to believe.

there are many (scientists and otherwise) who choose to believe the world is here as a result of intelligent design. I choose to believe that i am "fearfully and
wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:13-14) by an omniscient, omnipotent and loving God.

thank-you-very-much

To set the story straight this 16 year old was not a diver, he was snorkeling in the shallows and was showing off by taunting the animal. After several grabs it seems that the nurse shark decided it did not want to play anymore so it "attached" itself to the kids chest. Alas it was not a diver who did this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom