unidentified invertebrate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This picture was taken in Los Angeles county, 35ft depth

It might be a bryozoan. Let me know what you think! A genus would be nice....

http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/Marineland0325/UnidentifiedCloseup?full=1
UnidentifiedCloseup.jpg

thanks alot!,
Scott

Looks kinda like feather duster worms. Did they disappear if you wave your hand near them?

-Mark

maractwin:
Looks kinda like feather duster worms. Did they disappear if you wave your hand near them?

-Mark

they didn't disappear. They sort of look like plastic.

I edited my original post, the picture is now a closeup so you can see the organism in greater detail. take a look again and let me know what you think.

I'll take either an entoproct or ectoproct for one dollar. I'm not sure enough to venture a ten-dollar bid... I don't even dive in California.

archman:
I'll take either an entoproct or ectoproct for one dollar. I'm not sure enough to venture a ten-dollar bid... I don't even dive in California.

that was my first guess also, and I was wrong...btw, these guys are found in various parts of the world, not just cali...

of course, if you come to so-cal, I'll buy you a beer anyways.

maractwin:
How about Phoronis (horseshoe worm), a bryozoan?

Phoronis belongs within the phoronid clade, not the bryozoan one. But I think you have a winner. Dang, I forgot all about this crummy little phylum. I'll second maractwin's guess, and even venture upon a possible species P. vancouverensis. I've never see a live phoronid, but the anatomy in my texts conform to the things in the photo.

archman:
Phoronis belongs within the phoronid clade, not the bryozoan one. But I think you have a winner. Dang, I forgot all about this crummy little phylum. I'll second maractwin's guess, and even venture upon a possible species P. vancouverensis. I've never see a live phoronid, but the anatomy in my texts conform to the things in the photo.

That is correct. I owe each of you a beer.

Phoronis ijimai is a synonym for P. vancouverensis, according to a phoronid website I looked at, so either is correct.

They are pretty cool looking, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom