Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's basically the problem in a nutshell.

DEMA is a membership dues supported organization that's supposed to promote diving.

In addition t the membership dues the Tradeshow is ostensibly a source of funding for these "other" promotional activities.

I'd venture you could poll and 1000 randomly selected divers and of those recognized DEMA the vast majority would respond as you did.

Tobin

FWIW, I just went to the DEMA website and can say with absolute certainty that I've never heard of any of their projects and I'm reasonably certain none of my friends have either, and if membership was more than $25/year, I'd be demanding a refund and an audit to find out where the money went.

Terry

here is an excellent post in another thread that gets to the heart of the matter

Looks like time for a new organization.

Terry

This is a valid attempt to have a "new" organization. It can happen if the members and other stakeholders have the courage to made a real and substantial change.

The fact that many DEMA members, other distributors and manufacturers, and most SCUBA retailers have not yet joined in marks a sad day and indicates a continuing decline.

This is no time to sit on the fence. Speak up. Take a stand. At least have the courage to
support the new change or stay in the old way. Don't hide. Speak out, one way or the other.

Dema has repeatedly been a cash cow for those who ran it. The tragedy is that the cash was paid regardless of results.

FWIW, I just went to the DEMA website and can say with absolute certainty that I've never heard of any of their projects and I'm reasonably certain none of my friends have either, and if membership was more than $25/year, I'd be demanding a refund and an audit to find out where the money went.

Terry

I am not in the business, just an avid diver living in posiably the largest potential market for new divers in the country and I have never heard or seen of the Be A Diver marketing program until just viewing DEMA's web-site. That being said, do you really expect an organization to drive the industry for dues of $25.00 per year?

I am not in the business, just an avid diver living in posiably the largest potential market for new divers in the country and I have never heard or seen of the Be A Diver marketing program until just viewing DEMA's web-site. That being said, do you really expect an organization to drive the industry for dues of $25.00 per year?

dues start at $150 and go to $2500, more you pay more votes you get (1 at $150, 25 at $2500)

He was saying that judging from how effective DEMA has been anything over $25 would be too much to pay for DEMA's efforts...:D

The dues paid by industry suppliers are much, much greater. They are based on the dollar volume of sales.

Tobin

The dues paid by industry suppliers are much, much greater. They are based on the dollar volume of sales.

Tobin

I kind of figured but could not resist. Honestly, one more thought and you can have your thread back. 20 years ago nearly every able bodied person in this area either was a diver or was soon planning on trying. Now the opposite. What was being done back then to promote the sport that is now obviously no longer in effect?

I kind of figured but could not resist. Honestly, one more thought and you can have your thread back. 20 years ago nearly every able bodied person in this area either was a diver or was soon planning on trying. Now the opposite. What was being done back then to promote the sport that is now obviously no longer in effect?

that time frame corresponds to the shift to faster courses and "changing the image of diving" so it appeared safer, easier and for everybody. BORING

Funny thing, not many folks covet a Timex, something we can all get fast and easy yet a Rolex is another thing altogether....

Strangely enough if you asked most recreational only divers what their favorite course was you would be told Rescue over and over again. The worst diving (all surface) the most work and the least pleasant.....yet the best course.

I don't have the answer, but that's exactly the type of question that need to be asked.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom