United baggage rules updated - RETRACTION!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry, guys, but United sent me another email reversing their previous response to me. I apologize for the misinformation. I was packed but now I need to completely unpack and start over.

View attachment Re: Dive equipment via United (KMM26615309V62446L0KM).pdf

My response to her was as follows:

=========================================================

Hi, Jeanne

This is very disappointing. Although you may be correct in stating that United has no restrictions on what is considered a dive bag, the rest of your response renders this point moot. Forgive me for saying so, but this looks to me like yet another way for United to extract more money from its customers without providing anything in return.

Regards,
Gordon Gunn
Austin, TX

=========================================================

By the way (from United's website):
Overweight Bags
from 51.0 to 70.0 lbs (24 to 32 kg)
$200 extra per bag

Last edited:
By the way (from United's website):
Overweight Bags
from 51.0 to 70.0 lbs (24 to 32 kg)
$200 extra per bag
This highlights that it is often cheaper to pay for an extra bag as opposed to paying overweight fines on your free bag.

This highlights that it is often cheaper to pay for an extra bag as opposed to paying overweight fines on your free bag.
It also highlights that if you get caught with a 51lb bag at the counter when it is too late to get another bag, the airline has you at a $200/$40 disadvantage. A luggage scale is a good investment.

And no bags on United are free any more.

Last edited:

One can actually pull off having a United Club membership plus two free 50lb bags if one plays their credit card/miles program game right. United's mileage program allows one to redeem miles for a reimbursement of the $395 annual fee on the club card, and it's not that hard to run up the miles necessary to do so (about 50k) over the course of a year. If you only want one free bag and no club membership, the same thing can be done with the $95/yr fee on the explorer card (about 11k miles). Viola: free bags on United.

Reactions: RJP
Submitted a baggage damage and loss claim on 10 April 2015, still waiting for any response at all????????

One can actually pull off having a United Club membership plus two free 50lb bags if one plays their credit card/miles program game right. United's mileage program allows one to redeem miles for a reimbursement of the $395 annual fee on the club card, and it's not that hard to run up the miles necessary to do so (about 50k) over the course of a year. If you only want one free bag and no club membership, the same thing can be done with the $95/yr fee on the explorer card (about 11k miles). Viola: free bags on United.
agreed. there are several ways to get free bags. all my bags are free. and they can be 70lbs. but i flew over 60 thousands miles last year. so i really can not claim that my "free" bags came cheap.

I love using the old "active duty military" card when ever i am going somewhere on vacation. helps get around those bag fees.

Interesting, and disappointing. The rule was vaguely stated under Continental and I never tried to use it, as it really comes down to the agent's call at the time.
It also highlights that if you get caught with a 51lb bag at the counter when it is too late to get another bag, the airline has you at a $200/$40 disadvantage. A luggage scale is a good investment.

Oh, I can usually move a couple of pounds if needed, or discard - easily to save $200. I play it safe weighing in the room tho. I think all of the portable, digital luggage scales are accurate enough.

Submitted a baggage damage and loss claim on 10 April 2015, still waiting for any response at all????????
:hijack: They don't get in any rush on those.

Back to bags and scales, luggage scales are essential - and Ebay has such a wide assortment. After my initial search, I then select "Buy Now" and sort by price including shipping.

This one is cheap enough at $2.49 (altho many sellers there sell the same model for much more), uses 2 AAA batteries, but I have to have a door knob to hang it from while I read it: 40kg 20g Electronic Hanging Fishing Luggage Pocket Portable Digital Weight Scale | eBay

Some like this one are cute for weighing little things, but would be too difficult to hold hanging a 50# bag, plus is uses a button battery - one more spare battery to carry on trips. :( 25kg x 5g Mini Digital Scale Hanging Luggage Fishing Hook Electronic Balance TA | eBay

This is my favorite! Uses 2 AAA batteries and can be read from above while holding it with the bag hanging - for as little at $4.83 delivered, altho again many sellers there charge much more for the same item: 50kg 10g Digital Electronic Portable Hanging Luggage Weight Wide Hook Scale HG | eBay
Capture.JPG
If the little hook on the bottom is too small, you may need to put a cable tie on your handles so you can hang it.

We don't buy souviners so we just weigh our bags by standing on a bathroom scale with them and without them and subtract.

And if somehow things get shifted and one bag is a bit over and the other a bit under we can always take something out of one and stuff in the other at the airport on the way back. (Plus toiletries usually get left behind so that's a few ounces).

We don't buy souviners so we just weigh our bags by standing on a bathroom scale with them and without them and subtract.

And if somehow things get shifted and one bag is a bit over and the other a bit under we can always take something out of one and stuff in the other at the airport on the way back. (Plus toiletries usually get left behind so that's a few ounces).

What He Said......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom