United red eye canceled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did any of the folks who weren't "notified" of their flight change actually sign up for flight notification when they made their reservation? Whenever there's been a change to any United reservation I've ever had, I have received an immediate email, text message, and an alert from the United app on my phone. Hard to believe that wouldn't happen in this situation... assuming folks signed up to be notified.

Same here. But even if you haven't when you go to the United site and pull up your reservation by the confirmation number, it will show you there in large red type.

After reading this thread, I checked my April reservation. And, yes, it has changed. The big red type was there.

Many thanks to United for the unannounced changes.

I am signed up for notifications via email. They never came. I was checking seating and noticed the red change warning. This must have just happened when I checked as I was the first to post. Sorry to anybody that got screwed out of a day of diving like I did.

I am signed up for notifications via email. They never came. I was checking seating and noticed the red change warning. This must have just happened when I checked as I was the first to post. Sorry to anybody that got screwed out of a day of diving like I did.

Interestingly, a buddy of mine who was on the Friday night redeye out of Newark had his flight changed to the Friday MORNING departure rather than the Saturday departure, so he'd actually be GAINING a day of diving. Except for the fact that he and his wife are both working that day and his kids won't be home from college yet. He's trying to change the flight to Saturday AM.

Well folks, if we've learned nothing else here, we've learned that in even in the absence of official written nor telephoned notice, it behooves us to check up on our reservations now and then.

But me I'm a bit excited about the news as to change of flight schedules. I've movedBonaire up on my list.

I have a group going, out of Newark, on United, as I usually try to do every year,(last trip was 22 people) and if the easy direct flight is changed to where we will need to fly to Ohio-Houston -Bonaire ,where it now takes us 12 hrs + instead of 4 1/2 I may just have to cancel it if I cannot get an easier flight schedule..Have to look into alternate flight out of Miami ..I see Delta has a flight out of Atlanta..if this is the way United is going to treat people I will go with Delta...United is going to lose 22 seats...

Last edited:
My group is now staying overnight in Newark and had a bit of a scramble. We're Canadian, coming from Ottawa (and I'm flying in from Halifax) so it was a challenge to get everything figured out. They initially wanted to route me through Houston on the Friday with very short flight connections - not good when you're flying in January out of Canada - but they managed to switch me back to the direct Newark flight. Except, according to my itinerary, I may have to pay baggage fees for Halifax - Newark and then Newark - Bonaire separately.

Return flights home are a disaster, but realistically it's better to spend a full day travelling home with annoying connections than risk missing a connection or losing your baggage on the way down.

I've never been to Bonaire so I'm hoping the diving is spectacular because the annoyances of travel (and the fact you now lose two full days to get there when coming from Canada) make me wonder whether it's worth the hassle when there are a plethora of alternative destinations in the Caribbean that don't require such a slog.

My flight was also cancelled with no notification BUT I do get an extra day of diving now. My hotel was able to get me in a day early & give me an extra day of car rental. I can't wait!! United did try to charge me a $400 change fee but I protested due to their schedule change. After an hour of waiting for a supervisor the fee was waived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom