Universal Referral Program? Does It Still Exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some years ago, the URP had a website and a referral form that required an instructor to register and get a URP number.

What is the deal now? Is this all defunct?
I'm a PADI instructor and would like to accept non-PADI students for OW cert dives, and allow them to return home and get their cards from their originating instructor.

Good question... never could go that route, though. I have to have at least one pool session with an OW student before we hit the salt. Quite often they need more than one session. I'm OK with the academics.

Good question... never could go that route, though. I have to have at least one pool session with an OW student before we hit the salt. Quite often they need more than one session. I'm OK with the academics.
Interesting, a pool/confined-water session is what PADI now requires if accepting a non-PADI student on referral (for a PADI cert).

Awesome! I think it's negligent for an instructor to take a student into OW without making sure the student is capable first. I require that of my AOW students as well. I feel it's just due diligence on my part.

As an SSI instructor, I frequently sign URP referrals for many of my students, especially in the late fall/ winter/ early spring, since waters here are too cold. I do tell my students that being asked to perform skills in a pool session to assess skills & comfort is perfectly acceptable & should be expected.... I would do the same, if an unknown student was presented to me. Although, I am quite aware that not all instructors follow this,... I will absolutely NOT sign the referral papers if the student is not comfortable & competent in the water & with their skills. I have disappointed some, but most know that they are not comfy & not ready & are actually relieved.

You mean, you sign them to send them somewhere else to do their certification dives? My questions are about the instructor who does the dives with the student; what assures you he is a real instructor so you are willing to issue a cert card?

You mean, you sign them to send them somewhere else to do their certification dives? My questions are about the instructor who does the dives with the student; what assures you he is a real instructor so you are willing to issue a cert card?
I just posted the referral form on the other thread. It requires the instructor conducting the evaluation dives to initial, sign & give their Referral #. The same argument of authenticity can be made for the initiating instructor also. Honestly, in my case,... I do not sign them off to do the referral, if I have any realistic doubts of their skills & comfort. Can things slip through? Yes, I suppose it could, it is not a perfect world.

Thanks. That is the form I have previously located. My concern, and questions, are about this part:
upload_2016-3-14_22-36-12.png

Item 3: See the universal Referral Program manual and the Skills Information sheet.
item 4d. Issue a Universal Referral Temporary Card
Blank at the bottom, Referral Number.

With a non-existent URP website and program, it would seem impossible to follow these directions and sign this form. I can only conclude that the forms you are getting back are from people that "joined the URP" long ago, before about 2007 when the website disappeared, or are just faking it, taking the money of the students, and sending them back to you. For heaven's sake, it does not even ask what the agency's instructor number of the referral instructor is! This whole thing doesn't pass my smell test.

I see your concern & can say honestly, yes it could be an issue. My view on sending students with a referral is that I would have no issues taking them to OW dives myself. I realize different instructors have different standards of what is "mastered" & "comfortable".... I guess I tend to sometimes be overbearing,... But if I am not comfortable taking them myself,.. I will not send them out (if that makes any sense).

I guess the test is what they are like after you "get them back." Did they actually learn anything and improve anything and become better divers through their certification dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom