"Unsafe At Any Depth? Mail-Order BCs" - Huh??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QKRTHNU once bubbled...
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/mailorderBCs/

Ok, is this article just hogwash or am I missing something?

Why would a product purchased mail-order be any different than one from an LDS?

Any product review in Rodale's should be taken with a grain of salt. A big one.

While I can't speak to the individual BCs listed, Sea Elite makes as good or better BC as any on the market, for half the price.

http://store.divers-supply.com/browse.cfm/4,8378.html

That's the first BC that I ever had (and the last), and the only reason I'm not still diving it is because I switched to a BP/W. I'm still using the wing, it'll break 1000 dives this year. The construction and stitching on this BC is bulletproof. The only thing that ever failed on it was mesh pocket, and that was late in it's life.

I worked for Diver's Supply in 98-99, and we never had any problems with this gear.

This is a modular BC, with the best intergrated weight system made (velcro bottom drop), and took a miraculous beating the entire time I used it.

It I ever buy another BC, it'll be a Sea Elite.

As far as mail order goes, some mail order places are chain stores as well, not all mail order places are the same.

My very FIRST online purchaseas a private label BC that looked great in the ad and was a steal price-wise. There were lots of 'testimonials' on the web site claiming that it outperformed every other BC, regardless of price...I was strapped for cash and thought I'd found a bargain.

When it arrived, it was the cheesiest piece of crap I've ever seen. The bladder cover was windbreaker-strength nylon and the velcro cumberbund would pop open with no effort required.

The mfg tag was written in Chinese.

Thankfully I bought it with a major credit card and they voided the transaction when the distributor said he'd take it back but assess me a 'service charge' for returning it. I felt like a dolt afterwards, but learned a good lesson.

The name-brand equip I've purchased online since then has all been great, no problems.

Ever watch those late night TV infomercials?

"Not available at any store, so......buy it here"

That should be clue number one.

This really shouldn't be any surprise. It is easier to pass of junk as decent product when the customer can't see the item before they buy it. I think everyone would be a little skeptical of any no-name product that claimed to deliver better quality at half the price of leading manufacturers, but was only available via mail-order and not in stores. Why should dive gear be any different?

On the other hand, new name brand products are the same wherever you buy them. Whether you buy them at K-Mart, Target, Macys, or online, Levis 501s are all the same.

Popeye once bubbled...

Any product review in Rodale's should be taken with a grain of salt. A big one.

While I can't speak to the individual BCs listed, Sea Elite makes as good or better BC as any on the market, for half the price.

All the reviews can be taken with a grain of salt but before you down play Rodales too much Popeye, check and see how many of these manufacturers filed grievances or lawsuits against Rodales.

I also know a few people that work for Diver's Supply, I asked them one day why they didn't dive their house brand of equipment. All I got was a sly grin and you've got to be kidding.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

All the reviews can be taken with a grain of salt but before you down play Rodales too much Popeye, check and see how many of these manufacturers filed grievances or lawsuits against Rodales.

What would they file against, and what good would it do them?

It's all opinion.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

I also know a few people that work for Diver's Supply, I asked them one day why they didn't dive their house brand of equipment. All I got was a sly grin and you've got to be kidding.

Couple things here..

First off, you're taking anecdotal opinions from someone who sells dive gear they consider to be poor quality to unsuspecting consumers (quite a harbinger), and,

Let's hear what they have to say after 500+ dives in that gear, instead of never having dived it at all.

Sea Elite manifolds, for instance, are argualby the best made.

Sea Elite drysuits have a good reputation.

Sea Elite regs are SP knock offs, with interchangable parts (at least mine are).

I'm over 800 dives on Sea Elite stuff, and have no complaints.

I don't expect the same performance from an item that costs half the going rate. When I get it, it's worth mentioning.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Having velcro and weight system in the same sentance is IMO very very bad.

I coudn't imagine why. The design is (suspiciously) identicle to the Transpac pockets linked below, and I've never seen a better system. Certainly not one with clips, pouches and/or cables (ACBs, for instance).

5 years of heavy usage without a single problem, at times with 14 lbs per pocket.

The only reason I'm not still using them is because I switched to smaller pockets.

Of course, the user has to be able to operate velcro... :)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Popeye once bubbled...

http://store.divers-supply.com/browse.cfm/4,8378.html

This is a modular BC, with the best intergrated weight system made (velcro bottom drop)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/weights.shtml

I have one of Rodale's poorly rated mail-order BCs(Blue Reef Admiral) and a highly rated BC(IDI Advantage).

I have dove the Blue Reef for 10 years. It is a great BC-especially for pittance I paid for it. It shows almost no sign of wear, has a great tank holder and has never failed.

On the other hand, the Advantage is the most awkward, cumbersome thing I have donned. The "Torso Rail System" is hocus-pocus. The sytem implies that you can adjust the length of the torso-it is patially true. You can adjust the length but if the length is short you had better wear a helmet because the tank will be banging you on the head.

Best bet is a backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom