Unusual challenge. Significant weight loss with diving as goal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LM;

As of two days ago, I now have my Open Water... I just finished the goal you speak of.

Last year (mid-2009) - I decided I was going to get fit (I weighed just over 300lbs), oh and I'm 27 years old. I've been struggling with this for 10+years...

My advice (I could write an essay on this I suppose, but sort of the highlights):

- This is going to take a while, you need to be patient, and really educate yourself... there is so much information out there. Treat this like a project at work. This involves changing your entire life - how you eat, move, habits, etc... But it snowballs. Start with the food though. You can't expect to start running for an hour if you're 300+ lbs, for example. I focused solely on my food intake for the first six months and lost most of my weight. After I felt 200% better, and VERY motivated... weight lifting, running, kayaking, swimming, cycling, you name it - this has not only made me find my natural weight, but I've been maintaining it for six months now... and no way I'm going back to hold habits. It feels great.

So, in regards to food, the equation is really simple. I took my weight, multiplied it by 12 (the general consensus is it takes about 12 calories to maintain one pound of weight). So, 300 lbs x 12 calories = 3600 cals/day. If you have less, you lose weight, if you have more - you gain weight. There is 3500 calories in one pound - so, to loose one pound a week - you need to have a deficiency of at least 3500 calories. When you're huge, this is easy! Eat 2000 calories a day (like a normal person) when you weigh 300lbs as an example, and you'll have a deficiency of 11200 calories (3.2 lbs). First few weeks I lost about 20 pounds, and pretty consistently 2-3 lbs a week. And, this is without going on a treadmill. Do try to go for a light walk to start ramping up, but focus on the food...

- Use a food tracker. I purchased FitDay (Google it). Best $29 I ever spent. Input everything you eat (you must weigh it)... and input the food labels. You will have days when you can't control yourself... It's OK. Just log it, and get back on track. Most projects don't always go to plan... you keep at it. As for the label inputs, you won't have too many because you'll mostly be buying fruits, vegetables, and complex carbohydrates (e.g. multigrain bread). Everyone seems to say your intake during the day should consist of 22% fats, 55% complex carbs (think fibre, not white flour), 22% protein (makes you feel full).

- My biggest change was food intake and types of food. You really are what you eat. Think, if you eat a sugary white piece of bread, or chips, or cookies... it's not food, it's garbage... this is why I felt and looked the way I did. I eat veggies like crazy now... you just feel better.

- Understand, you need to do this for life. Being financially aware, my method of controlling food intake is to treat my food intake like a bank account (I only have a 2300 calories a day to spend!). I could waste it on a fatty donut, or have a huge meal that is good for me (with probably less calories). The good news is, once you stop eating bad foods... you'll be surprised how much you don't like them, or won't want to touch them. I used to love donuts in the morning for breakfast, now watching other people eat them makes me wonder why they abuse themselves.

- Remember break this down into manageable chunks. For now, go for a walk around the block for 30 minutes just to move (because it is good for you). You're not ready to start breaking out into two hour workout sessions. Perhaps make it a goal to reduce your daily food intake by 500 calories. Hey, you'll lose a pound that week if you do... I bet you next week, you'll want to eat a little bit less. And remember, it's not about straving... it's about eating real food. If you have a head a broccoli instead of a measly slice of bread... The broccoli will make you feel quite full.

There was a great book I read that really gave me some good ideas to get started. Feel free to PM for the title.

Good luck!

PS it was a great feeling when the instructor looked at me, and said, oh, you probably need a medium wetsuit... trust me, it's worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom