Unusual luggage question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going down to Cozumel soon, and my daughter and her intended are going to accompany my wife and I. They are flying in to MSP (where we live) from Seattle (where they live), staying overnight and then we are all boarding the same plane to Coz in the morning. Their baggage is checked through all the way to Coz from Seattle. All this is on Northwest airlines flights. Now the question... can they add baggage to their flight from here in Minneapolis? They want to pick up a couple of duffel bags (full of medical supplies for the Mexican Red Cross) and check this in with their allotments. They are bringing one checked bag each, and Northwest says that we are all allowed two bags free on a flight to Mexico or the Caribbean. We are obviously trying to make use of that second bag allotment, but are not sure if we can sneak it in halfway through their trip. I am naturally going to call Northwest on this, but wondered if anyone has any advice or insights on this little can of worms I am opening up? Thanks for any help you can provide. Woody

Okay, an update. I called Northwest, and they said this was no problem, and to just present the additional luggage at the checkin counter here in MSP with the boarding passes, etc. At least that's what they say NOW. At first I got an agent who did not believe that we got two free checked bags each on a flight that concludes in Mexico, even though it is clearly stated that way on their web site. I was transferred to a web agent, who confirmed that the two bags were free, and after some consultation stated that we could indeed add the baggage halfway through the trip. So... we will see.:nailbiter: Has anyone else tried a freaky stunt like this before? All observations welcome. Woody

only once have we tried something like that, we wound up going back and checking another bag because TSA didn't like some camera tools or something we had in a carryon. We should have had another free bag, and this was of course not long after we checked our original stuff, and they charged us. It was American. My husband just paid it, I suspect I would have been more insistent.

you should be fine. make sure to have them put their itinerary in their bags so they dont get lost and keep all the receipts for the bags. these odd flights are how baggage gets lost IMO.

We just got back from Maui, WOO HOO! On the way from Minneapolis to Maui, via seattle on Northwest, I checked 2 bags for free. (my scuba suitcase weighed in at 46 lbs!) But on the way back direct from honolulu to minneapolis, we had to pay $15 for the first bag and $25 for scuba suitcase. Nobody could explain this before, during, or after our trip. Go figure.

I checked the Northwest web site again, and as I suspected, the two free bags are for travel originating or ending in Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean. All 'domestic' travel is charged the $15/25 buck fees, and last time I checked, Hawaii is still considered a state, so... DOMESTIC travel. :D Don't you love it?:shakehead: So, you got away with it on the way out, but the airline police caught up with you on the way back. Ah, well. I just hope that we can pull our little game with them without running afoul of something. Stay tooned. Woody

Back
Top Bottom