Update on my Knee replacemment surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Back in Januuary I started a string about DCS risk
with Knee replacement surgery. I receieved several requestes to let you know how it went, so here's where I am ...........

It's been 18 days since I had knee replacement surgery.
I thought I'd take a minute and let you all know how i'm doing.

I just started out patient physio-therapy monday It seems to be going well.
My therapists are very encouraging, (and good looking too)
Being able to lift 1 pound 10 times with my leg
doesn't seem like much, but that's my limit right now.
I do a 15 minute warm up on the stationary bicycle, and
a series of flexibility , and strength building exercises in the gym for
an hour,
followed by 15 minutes of ice pack to reduce swelling and inflammation.
My leg was real stiff in the hospital, and I was on crutches at first.
The exercises and continuous passive motion machine (6 hrs/day) got it
up 90 degrees bend,
and I could lift it without assistance so they let me go home after 7 days.
Now its up to 105 degrees of bend, and I can lift a whole pound.

The knee is an old JUDO injury. In addition to being a diving instructor,
I am a black belt in Judo, have been since 1972.
I tore the cartilage in my right knee in the Canadian Championships in
BC in 1974.
I had my first surgery in 1975, then again in 1991 and last October.
Each time they cleaned up the torn bits and try to smooth things over so I don't keep jamming it.
The last scope (Oct. 2001) revealed the cartilage to be completely shattered.
I was rubbing on bone in two out of 3 compartments.
So the knee replacement was scheduled for Feb. 15/2002.
I got rid of my knee brace Monday, but still need a cane.
I'm taking blood thinners (to prevent clotting) and anti-inflammatory drugs and pain killers
I'll start back to work, half days, next monday, and go to physio-therapy 3 times
a week.
My objective is to be back diving in O/W by May 1st week end.
So far I can swim ok, but I don't have enough strength to push my fins yet.

Best regards

Mike

Glad to hear of your steady improvement.... before you know it, it will be dive time!

We'll set that dive up just as soon as you're able.:)

Way to go, Mike! :thumb: With that many surgeries you know the importance of of the therapy...you'll be diving before you know it!

I had my second physio-therapy session on Wednesday. It looks like I'm making headway.
My leg is stable enough, I got rid of my knee brace.
15 minutes warm up on stationary bike
3 x 10 reps of 2 lbs leg lift (1 up from 1 lb)
3 x 10 reps 7.5 lbs calf lift(new)
4 x 20 reps 45 lbs, leg press (right leg up from 2 x 20 reps 25lb))
4 x 20 reps 45 lbs, toe press (right leg up from 25 lb)
15 minutes ice pack to reduce swelling and inflamation.
I've secured a stationary bike so I can do 15 minutes , a couple of times a day.

Mike

Good luck with your recuperation, Mike.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I've had 4 surgeries (3 reconstructs & 1 hw removal) on my left knee, so I can imagine what you're going through, except for the fact that yours is worse!

Keep up the good work, and you'll be diving again soon.

KoralKat

My knees aren't replaced...but I've had surgery on both (latest was a badly torn ACL 2 years ago) Just FYI...I snorkled for a long time barefooted because the fins all put too much pressure on my knees. When I started to scuba, I had to find fins my knees would tolerate. Someone suggested the split fins. They are sexy, and I liked the colors and I thought I would get some...but when I had a chance to try three dufferent brands in a pool...no soap...they still hurt my knees. Enter the Mares Volo fins. I'm a walking advertisement. My knees think I'm barefoot...and I found a place on the net that had them for under $100. They aren't sexy and they come in one boring color but...When you get back in the water...if fins are a problem...this might help.

Thanks for the referal on the Volo fins Cougar,
I bought a pair last year after I had my knee scoped. I couldn't push the old quattros, but I could with the Volo's. We 've even had a student with MS finish the course with them.

Thanks to everyone for the get well wishes and personal email I've been recieving.
This is my second week of physio-therapy and I started back to wwork 1/2 days this week.
I have a desk job (mechanical design engineer) so I'm not on my feet much. I've been swimming already, but I don't have enough strength to push my fins yet.

Best regards

Mike

My target day arrived Saturday May4,2002.
I am officially back in the water.
I joined in on a local club drift dive.
No real challenge, unless you count trying to reach your foot to tighten your fin strap. A walk in entree and exit.
My right leg is still only 40% strength compared to my right but I managed ok.
Max depth 21 feet, temperature 50°F, speed about 2 knots or 3+ Kiliomters per Hr. dive time 45 minutes.
Location, Atonabee River, below Lock 19 Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Fish life: a few pickerel (one or two) more bass(5) and one muskalunge about 3 feet long. There were suckers by the schools, 2 kinds, the normal gray, milky colored kindm and a new one I'd never seen before, Black and orangey/yellow striped.
They must be getting ready to spawn, there were hundreads of them.
I picked a big buddy (one of my AI's) just in case I needed assitance, but everthing went well. My knee is a little stiff today after the work out, but all in all ok.

I'm still doing physio-therapy 3 times a week to build up the strength.

Mike D.

Had a check up June 6, (xrays attached) all looks good, next check up Dec 2002.
Physio theorapy continued 1 hr, 3 days a week to July 19.

Single leg press up to 90 lbs, 25 reps
She (theorapist) added a leg extension exercise.
"standing at wall machine foot in stirup, knee chest high, step down like climbing up a ladder. Started at 100 lbs and I built up very quickly. In 3 weeks I was up to 4 sets pf 25 reps at 180 lbs.(mach max).

They sent me home.
Damn, I was beginning to look forward to the work outs.

Went wreck diving in the St Lawrence River July 21,
We dove on the Henry C Daryaw, and Robert Gaskin, Brockville Ontario. The current on the Daryaw was the strongest I've seen it in several years. No sense pussy footing around I needed to know if I was ready or not...

No problems with the knee , no pain, and good endurance, I pushed it ensure I didn't favor it.
The only problem spot is climbing the ladder on the dive boat.
The quads are about 70% so still need to build more strength.

I was a little stiff and sore on following Monday after the work out. Otherwise I'm back!

Mike D

I've been lurking - following your story. You have had excellent care from the get-go. However, even Michaelangelo had to have good marble!

Good things!

scubadoc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom