Update on Total Knee Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:) For anyone who might be facing similar surgery, I had a Total Knee Repacement.
I'm 48 years old, male, diving since 1972.
It's been 7 weeks since my surgery.
I had my check-up on Thursday. This was good news. My balance and strength are ahead of schedule. (as a referece I can now do 4 sets of lifting 10 lbs, by straightening my leg x 20 reps) I go to physio-therapy 3 times a week, 45 minutes work out followed by 15 minutes ice pack.
I've been swimming in the pool for 3 weeks
The Doctor has ok'd me to put the fins on, but only flutter and dolphin kicks, no frog or wreck kick ( apparently there is too much twisting stress). The knee is a little cluncky but I'm told this will disappear as the muscles strengthen.
I have a peronal target to be back in o/w May 4th,
both my Doctor and Physio-therapist agree this should be no problem.
My next check up is June 6, with x-rays.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm happy to hear of the success you're having in your recovery from the surgery. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be diving in no time.

Yippy, as always, glad to hear of your steady improvement.:)

Congradulations !

I have had surgery on my left knee twice and once on my right knee, my doc says that a total knee replacement is coming up soon. I'm 46 and have always been extremly mobile, but when the doc mentions a total knee replacement you start to think that it's the end of running around(literally). I have seen a total knee replacement on video and I've heard many success stories but yours is the most encouraging.

That's great news -- recovery times continue to decrease......when I had my ACL replacement surgery 17 years ago, I was on crutches for 3 months!

Hope the road to recovery is smooth -- the more time and effort you dedicate to physical therapy, the better off you'll be!

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement, and well wishes.

I hope that by sharing this experience, it helps some one else who may be facing a similar problem.

Mike Dolson
...._____......o O o O
.../_____\....o O o
..[__/_\__]..oo
==\[(o)]/..o

Back
Top Bottom