Update to hydration hydration hydration thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last August I wrote about my deco chamber visit in Cozumel. I had not violated my computer but still ended up in a chamber for 2 visits, one for 5 hours 48 minutes and another one later that day for 3 hours. It was surmised that a long (7mile) walk the night before in the heat and humidity and continued use of a water pill lead me to a dehydrated state and hence the chamber visit. Some comments on this board encouraged me to see if perhaps I had pfo (a hole in my heart). I finally got around to having this checked and yes, in fact I do have pfo albeit a minor one. I'm going to have it corrected in the next month or so. My thanks to those who pointed out that I should look at this as another factor. The doctor has done 4,000 such procedures and has better than a 99.5% success ratio on the first installation. He has had zero doctor error problems. With shoulder surgery scheduled for next Thursday I will be almost totally repaired for my June visit to Cocoview and hopefully either Palau, the Philippines or the Red Sea within the next 6 months after that. I had pleaded with the doctor in Coz to allow me one dive which I already had scheduled in Hawaii (with the manta rays) and he said ok, ONE dive only because it is shallow (he initially said no diving for 6 months) and I did that one last week. Fabulous with 10 mantas. Life is good and I want to keep diving.

Last August I wrote about my deco chamber visit in Cozumel. I had not violated my computer but still ended up in a chamber for 2 visits, one for 5 hours 48 minutes and another one later that day for 3 hours. It was surmised that a long (7mile) walk the night before in the heat and humidity and continued use of a water pill lead me to a dehydrated state and hence the chamber visit. Some comments on this board encouraged me to see if perhaps I had pfo (a hole in my heart). I finally got around to having this checked and yes, in fact I do have pfo albeit a minor one. I'm going to have it corrected in the next month or so. My thanks to those who pointed out that I should look at this as another factor. The doctor has done 4,000 such procedures and has better than a 99.5% success ratio on the first installation. He has had zero doctor error problems. With shoulder surgery scheduled for next Thursday I will be almost totally repaired for my June visit to Cocoview and hopefully either Palau, the Philippines or the Red Sea within the next 6 months after that. I had pleaded with the doctor in Coz to allow me one dive which I already had scheduled in Hawaii (with the manta rays) and he said ok, ONE dive only because it is shallow (he initially said no diving for 6 months) and I did that one last week. Fabulous with 10 mantas. Life is good and I want to keep diving.

This sounds like good news. Let me know how closing up the PFO goes. (Will this be the procedure where the thread a folded umbrella in through a leg vein and put it into the right atrium and then "open" the umbrella?)

Good luck on the surgury and let us know how everything turns out.

Art

Exactly Art. The doctor indicated that it is extremely routine. Said that when someone had a "unprovoked" DCI that pfo's were a very common culprit, as some said here.
Sorry Mr. Carchardon, I thought I had made the reference to the earlier thread clear.

With PFOs being found in 25% of the population (see Patent foramen ovale - MayoClinic.com ) but hits rare in recreational scuba, I have to wonder if dehydration was still the bigger factor in your hit - especially with "continued use of a water pill" which I think you noted before was an oversight. Good idea to get it repaired I suppose, but I still wonder.

Good point Don. I think, like many scuba accidents / incidents that my experience was the culmination of a series of things that when taken together resulted in a couple of chamber visits. The long walk the night before in the heat and humidity, the water pill, and the pfo didn't help. The final determining factor in deciding to go ahead with the procedure was an "abnormal mri" which the doctor indicated was not surprising given the dci and pfo. The likelyhood of strokes was greater by several times without the repair. And of course I'm going to Cocoview in June. By then both my shoulder and pfo should be ready for a dip in the deep. Getting old kind of sucks but it beats the alternative.

Exactly Art. The doctor indicated that it is extremely routine. Said that when someone had a "unprovoked" DCI that pfo's were a very common culprit, as some said here.
Sorry Mr. Carchardon, I thought I had made the reference to the earlier thread clear.

Good luck with your surgery. And the manta dive in Kona is great and is typically shallow where there is little DCS risk.

Exposure to inert gas (depth and time) have been shown to cause DCS. It is kind of like arguing against motherhood and apple pie but I believe dehydration is at best a secondary factor in DCS. I’d suggest focusing on depth and time and always diving nitrox to limit your exposure. Getting the PFO fixed will certainly help too.

farsidefan1:

First of all, best of luck on your upcoming PFO closure.

Below is a link to another thread here on the board. I am an interventionalist who closes PFOs but also a technical/cave/rebreather diver and instructor so I have a vested interest in the association between PFOs and DCS.

I am currently working with DAN to gather data on divers with PFO -- either corrected or left alone. We are hoping for about 50 divers (or more) with plans to gather their demographics, diving history, and details of their DCS events. The plan is then to follow them over the next several years to see if they have recurrent problems. We're even hoping to use the DAN Project Dive Exploration program to have the divers download their profiles. Obviously, no identifiable data will be included for privacy reasons. The reason for this project is that the association between PFO and DCS is very controversial. The incidence of DCS in the general diving community is only about 3 in 10, 000 and maybe twice that (still a very small number) in divers with PFO. Because of the small incidence of events it would be very difficult to statistically "prove" that closing a PFO is beneficial. We're hoping to at least gather some information to help divers and their physicians make more educated decisions on how to proceed when a diver who gets bent is found to have a PFO.

Please contact me if you'd be interested or would like some more information. You can PM me here or email me at debersole@pol.net

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/314201-looking-divers-pfo-research-study.html

And if anyone who reads this knows of someone with PFO and DCS please forward my contact information on to them.

Thanks!

Doug

farsidefan1:

First of all, best of luck on your upcoming PFO closure.

Below is a link to another thread here on the board. I am an interventionalist who closes PFOs but also a technical/cave/rebreather diver and instructor so I have a vested interest in the association between PFOs and DCS.

I am currently working with DAN to gather data on divers with PFO -- either corrected or left alone. We are hoping for about 50 divers (or more) with plans to gather their demographics, diving history, and details of their DCS events. The plan is then to follow them over the next several years to see if they have recurrent problems. We're even hoping to use the DAN Project Dive Exploration program to have the divers download their profiles. Obviously, no identifiable data will be included for privacy reasons. The reason for this project is that the association between PFO and DCS is very controversial. The incidence of DCS in the general diving community is only about 3 in 10, 000 and maybe twice that (still a very small number) in divers with PFO. Because of the small incidence of events it would be very difficult to statistically "prove" that closing a PFO is beneficial. We're hoping to at least gather some information to help divers and their physicians make more educated decisions on how to proceed when a diver who gets bent is found to have a PFO.

Please contact me if you'd be interested or would like some more information. You can PM me here or email me at debersole@pol.net

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/314201-looking-divers-pfo-research-study.html

And if anyone who reads this knows of someone with PFO and DCS please forward my contact information on to them.

Thanks!

Doug

Perhaps this would be better as its own thread with a title like "Gathering Statistics on PFOs". . . . and put it in the basic scuba thread, as that has the highest readership.

I don't think enough people read the medicine thread or this one for you to reach your target audience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom