Upgrade decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghanguss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup to something that is more flexible in terms of WA and super macro capability.

Currently I have a G12 in a Canon housing with a S&S YS-d1 strobe.

I have some great photos with this setup however Im now thinking about WA and getting more magnification into my macro shots as well.

I would also like to take this setup on flights for 1-2 times yearly holidays so size and weight is also a factor.

What Im not sure about is the trade off between image quality and size/weight of the setup. I would like to hear from anyone who has used both DSLR and mirrorless or compact setups to get some viewpoints.

Im about to buy another YS-D1 strobe and probably down the line Sola video lights. I shoot mainly stills and do a bit of video as well.

The three options Im looking into are:

Canon G12/G15 in Aluminium housing (eg. Nauticam) with screw in WA and Macro lenses

Oly OMD E M5 in Alum housing with WA and Macro lenses / ports

Canon 700D in Alum housing with WA and Macro lenses / ports.

Im leaning toward the Oly setup for good performance in a small size. But Im thinking the 700D will be only slightly larger with better image quality.
Ive never used wet lenses so Im not sure about the compact route either.

If I choose the compact / mirrorless option am I likely to want to upgrade later to a DSLR?

:idk: I cant decide

Bluntly I will never shoot a DSLR again, just got back from shooting the OMD-EM5 and the Sony RX100 both in Nauticam housings. Did not miss my Nikon DSLR at all. As I have said before if the Sony shot a little better macro stills it could be my primary camera. It did shoot some very good Super Macro video with the Subsea +10 diopter. I think with a WA Dome the Sony is my favorite for WA work, yes even over the OMD. Simply because you can shutter sync to just about any speed which helps in dealing with sunballs and sunrays.

The OMD is a great camera IMHO the perfect line-up of lenses would be the Oly 60mm, 12-50mm then a toss up between 7-14 or the 8mm. Have the 8mm but it really is a speciality lens.

If you want something Today, and mainly shoot stills, the OMD, Sony, LX7, Nex 6 are all good choices.

For what concerns compact I second Mjh about the Sony
Yes even with strong diopters the capture is still big but you can crop a lot out of 20 megapixels
The fact that you can take both macro and wide on the same dive is the primary reason why underwater I only shoot compacts
If I find a mirrorless that can take wet wa and macro I will give it a go right away however the slow sync speeds are a pain

Thanks Mark, I was trying to get a setup with a greater depth rating. Also my Canon housing leaks a few drops every so often.

Thanks for the feedback mjh and Inteceptor. Im looking into the points you have raised. Might come back with a few more Q's afterward!

Im going with the RX100 in a Nauticam housing with wet lenses.

Any recommendations for WA and macro. Im thinking INON lenses.
UWL-100 M67 and UCL-100 M67

If I use a 67mm to LD adapter will I get vignetting?

I suppose you mean the UWL-H100 and you are going for LD bayonet
With an M67-LD adapter you get vignette until around 50mm zoom which is not a major issue however if you stack another one you will only able to use the lenses from 80mm past

Hey Inteceptor, thanks for the great advice.

I have one more question regarding the 67 to LD mount. (For a NA-RX100)

Compared to a direct 67mm mount, do I lose anything with these lenses given they are further away from the camera when using an adapter.
UWL-H100
UCL-100

I understand from your previous response my zoom working range will be different.

Can I get the same photos just in a different zoom range? or will I lose options as a result of using the adapter?

I would prefer to have more flexibility with each lens in terms of zoom and working range than to have easy change-ability underwater.

That being said if I only suffered marginally in terms of lens performance for a much better change-ability underwater I would consider the LD mount.

For the RX100 there is no difference between M67 and LD as the lens is 28mm
So go with the bayonet. I use the fix adapter
M67 has no benefit other than cost of not requiring the adapter. This is offset by the fact you can put a hood on the UWL-H100 and if you use the dome will always be in position

Back
Top Bottom