Upgrading Camera Body... Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradButler01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK, I've had my Canon 20D now since they first came out. I got an Ikelite housing for it not long after. I love them both. The camera is just now starting to show age. I've contemplated an upgrade with every new model out, and I'm starting to get serious about it. But (and there's always a but) while I could save the money to make a new body feasible, especially with the old one going on e-bay, there is no way in hades I could afford another Ikelite housing.

I would imagine that any of the 10/20/30/40/50D line would physically fit in my Ikelite housing and work with the lens port, but the buttons would be in different places. Which leads me to believe that you could keep most of the housing, and just trade up on the back plate.

Is anybody aware of anytihng Ikelite will do, or does anybody have a workaround for this issue? I would love to be able to keep up with technology, but on a dive instructor's salary it just does not look good...

Thanks!

-B

This is the reason I still don't have a housing for my Nikon D40 - Ikelite makes wonderful housings - but they are also VERY expensive. I am actually waiting for Fantasea's new D40 housing which is due out shortly (According to them) - all in for around $1100 (yes, includes a basic port) - so, it's annoying, but essentially, you get a new camera, you get a new housing.

One thing I love about the D40 is that the D40x and D60 are the same camera body with same buttons - so if I upgrade after the housing - I will continue to use it.....

Yeah, as far as I know, all the buttons are the same from the 20D to the 30-40-50D, but the screen got bigger, so the buttons spread out a little :( Do you think Ikelite would sell just the back piece? Seems like a win-win-win, they get a sale, I get a new camera, Canon sells another body...

-B

Yeah, as far as I know, all the buttons are the same from the 20D to the 30-40-50D, but the screen got bigger, so the buttons spread out a little :( Do you think Ikelite would sell just the back piece? Seems like a win-win-win, they get a sale, I get a new camera, Canon sells another body...

-B

I had the same issue with going from a Nikon D80 to a D90. Its only the back piece which is different. I would have loved just to have paid for the rear peiece instead of a whole housing!

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom