Upgrading from a Rec Kit to a Tech Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And one more thing - are you physically able to handle the weight of doubles? I tried and knee issues made sidemount a necessity. I have no idea of your age, but if you already have back/knee issues, you should consider sidemount. Also add shoulder issues that would prevent you doing valve drills with doubles.
Has anyone had any experience(s) with using doubles on a Zeagle 911, or heard anything? thx <TG>

With every wreck dive I do, I think... I really want to go inside! I'm trying to better understand the necessary financial investment to enter the tech diving world with the goal of being properly equipped and trained to penetrate wrecks probably no deeper than 150' in both cold and warm water. I definitely want to stand on the flight deck of the USS Oriskiny and do some Great Lakes wrecks.

• I was already shopping for a dry suit because I live in Oregon and I'm done with cold water wet suits.
  • I already know my Aqualung Axium is not suitable for dual tanks, so a back plate and wing are in order.
  • I read that you should have "high end" regulators, but no discussion about where that bar is. I have an Aqualung Core Supreme 1st & 2nd stage. Are these suitable at least for my backup set? Or should I plan on 2 new regulator sets?
  • I have an Aqualung i200. Someone who I can't vouch for their credibility said that's a fine choice for back up, but should get a proper tech watch as a primary. Is that a fair assessment?
  • I'm a little concerned about the tank situation since a lot of my dives are while traveling. Are there places that rent twin tanks or would I need to travel with them, which doesn't seam reasonable? Maybe I'm just not searching hard enough.
For instruction, I found an SDI/TDI instructor that I really like. So I will probably take Intro Tech, Advanced Nitrox, Deco Proceedurss, and Advanced Wreck from him. Obviously not all at once, but this is all something I plan on structuring over time.

Just trying to add it all up to see if I should abandon the plan and stick with rec and just dream about the inside. Thanks.
If you like to travel and want to dive technical. Buy a sidemount system or take twin bands and use 2 alloys (11.1litres) without a manifold. You could still use the recreational dive computer down to 45 metres, although it would be a quick bounce dive, but then you could work your way up the wreck (outside) while still counting down your NDL. Skip the intro, find someone who will take you to Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox. Do a cave course instead of the Advanced Wreck.

Sorry, I am a bit confused by your answer...

If you like to travel and want to dive technical. Buy a sidemount system or take twin bands and use 2 alloys (11.1litres) without a manifold.

Why do you suggest only these two setups? Wouldn't other systems be perfectly fine? For instance a classic double-cylinders, or a rebreather.

And why "without manifold"?

You could still use the recreational dive computer down to 45 metres, although it would be a quick bounce dive, but then you could work your way up the wreck (outside) while still counting down your NDL.

Why should he limit himself to NDL because of the computer? The computer does calculate deco, doesn't it?

Skip the intro, find someone who will take you to Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox. Do a cave course instead of the Advanced Wreck.

Based on what you suggest to skip Intro? The intro course is there to refine basic skills, how do you know he doesn't need it?

Thanks all for the advice. My current plan is:
  • Waiting impatiently for a Seaskin drysuit to arrive. I ordered an XTX50 2nd stage to replace my AirSource that I'll use with my Aqualung Core and will order a basic single tank DGX BP/W shortly. This will get my cold water & warm water rec in a configuration friendly to moving on to tech as well as easy traveling. In the future, I may get a 2nd BP and have a warm and cold BP, but for now 1 will due.
  • Dive, Dive, Dive.
  • After my buddies have caught up on the gear (likely next spring), and we are all dry suit and BP/W proficient, we are going to sign up for GUE Fundamentals in Seattle. Many months in advance we'll reach out to the instructor recommends about renting vs purchasing bits for the twin tank set up. The rough plan will be to get a twin tank wing, a couple DSTs and another XTX50, but the details and timing will be based on their recommendations. I'll either retire the Aqualung Core to the wife of O2 clean it for deco. TBD.
  • Upgrade my computer to a Shearwater Perdix.
  • Depending on my opinion of GUE after Fundamentals, I'll either sign up for GUE Tech 1, or switch to the very reputable TDI shop in Hoodsport, WA for AN/DP and maybe Helitrox, and eventually Advanced Wreck.

Thanks all for the advice. My current plan is:
  • Waiting impatiently for a Seaskin drysuit to arrive. I ordered an XTX50 2nd stage to replace my AirSource that I'll use with my Aqualung Core and will order a basic single tank DGX BP/W shortly. This will get my cold water & warm water rec in a configuration friendly to moving on to tech as well as easy traveling. In the future, I may get a 2nd BP and have a warm and cold BP, but for now 1 will due.
  • Dive, Dive, Dive.
  • After my buddies have caught up on the gear (likely next spring), and we are all dry suit and BP/W proficient, we are going to sign up for GUE Fundamentals in Seattle. Many months in advance we'll reach out to the instructor recommends about renting vs purchasing bits for the twin tank set up. The rough plan will be to get a twin tank wing, a couple DSTs and another XTX50, but the details and timing will be based on their recommendations. I'll either retire the Aqualung Core to the wife of O2 clean it for deco. TBD.
  • Upgrade my computer to a Shearwater Perdix.
  • Depending on my opinion of GUE after Fundamentals, I'll either sign up for GUE Tech 1, or switch to the very reputable TDI shop in Hoodsport, WA for AN/DP and maybe Helitrox, and eventually Advanced Wreck.
This looks like an overall good plan. I would reconmend a workshop with a GUE instructor so you don't ingrain bad habits as you dive prolifically before you take fundies.

Another possibility is to connect with the GUE Seattle community (a FB group) and dive with more experienced (T1 amd above). They can give you tips that will help you. Feel free to reach out to me here or on FB and I'd be happy to help you connect.

Everything sounds pretty good, except for this:

First go for fundies, or at least a doubles/drysuit primers (or anything equivalent), then practice with your buddy. You want to develop only good habits, and the only way to be sure of doing so is first to have high-quality instructions - and only then to practice.

Skip the intro, find someone who will take you to Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox.
Over here (Scandinavia) you would have an extremely hard time finding an instructor willing to do AN/DP with you if you haven't done an intro class like fundies, essentials or similar.
The instructors you would find who would still take you are IMO not the ones you want to do a class with.
The intro classes are there for a good reason, and recommending someone to skip past that step is just straight up stupid.

Over here (Scandinavia) you would have an extremely hard time finding an instructor willing to do AN/DP with you if you haven't done an intro class like fundies, essentials or similar.
The instructors you would find who would still take you are IMO not the ones you want to do a class with.
The intro classes are there for a good reason, and recommending someone to skip past that step is just straight up stupid.
That's not the case here. There are not many good instructors outside the GUE folks. A few exist, but they are the exception. Agreed that you wouldn't want them, but many divers don't kniw any better.

Everything sounds pretty good, except for this:

First go for fundies, or at least a doubles/drysuit primers (or anything equivalent), then practice with your buddy.
My buddies & I got into this together and current travel the world diving together. They just aren't sold yet on the investment needed for cold water diving or tech diving. If they need another diving season to commit one way or another, I'm not going to run off and take Fundies without them because they took too long to commit. It's a lot of money, I'll give them some time to decide.

Taking a primer or workshop sooner than later is not a bad idea between now and then.

My buddies & I got into this together and current travel the world diving together. They just aren't sold yet on the investment needed for cold water diving or tech diving. If they need another diving season to commit one way or another, I'm not going to run off and take Fundies without them because they took too long to commit. It's a lot of money, I'll give them some time to decide.

Taking a primer or workshop sooner than later is not a bad idea between now and then.

I understand your point; you may want to consider private sessions with tech instructors, GUE primers, or GUE fundies part 1 (which is only 2 days, cost half of the full fundies and counts as half of the course in case you want to continue later one, but I am not sure if it expires after a bit of time).

In the end, it's your choice, and what you said makes sense. Just be aware of what you are doing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom