UPS and damaged packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe the brown Santa Claus is treating you that way. If you talk to the right person in Customer Service, they'll hopefully take care of you. I can't imagine how much better you could have packed it based on your description.

eric

well i have had to deal with this before with ups (aka universal pressing service, for constantly beating the day light out of packages) but here is what i have done. first is take pictures of package and make prints, then in a letter explain to them that you packed it suffiently that the package would have made it to its destination if it hadnt been (torn, crushed, thrown or kicked(thats another story) by them, and that there claim of insufficent packaging is there way of getting out of paying a claim when they know they messed up. and if this doesnt work i always write a letter to the top execs in the company and start the letter off in a manner similar to"

Dear XXXXX

as a result of your companies unwillingness to settle xxxxx i will no longer be using your services and in the future if i have any say in going into a contract with your company again i will recommend another company based on your companies previous actions.

starting a letter like that normally gets there attention when you are saying that you wont use them again and will not reccomend them in the future for personal or business deals

one hint on the letter or phone call is that make it seem that you arent ripping them a new one when you really are (killing them with kindness) and if that doesnt work you always have the option of sending a letter to the top execs in the company ( when you do that it gets a lot of attention in a hurry)

hope this helps

o2 clean once bubbled...
I worked as a shipping clerk for a few years and this is my input to all of this:

If you securely packaged the item with newsprint, packing peanuts and bubble wrap, then taped up with proper packing tape you did everything right. Did you secure it enough to the point if you were to shake the box the item inside didn't move all around? Did you pack it in a box that was at least 1/2 size bigger all around so you can securely cushion the item? If so, you packed it correctly. If the item was damaged pursue them to cover it, or if you're just looking to get your money back, pursue it still. Speak to Customer Service and if they won't help ask for a Manager, then ask for his Manager, and so forth. Make a point to not be ignored.

02clean

well that tip for packing doesnt always work, case in point a year or so ago i shipped a custom bult computer valued at about 4k in a brand new pelican case with a custom dead foam liner so that it wouldnt move around at all.

The computer was shipped via fedex, an d fully insured, well once it got there i got a call from my friend who said that he though he had said that i shipped the computer in a new pelican case, well i had but when it arrived there were a ton of scratches in it and a spot were the case had been flattened on a corner (mind you pelican cases have a lifetime warrenty againist any kind of damage, because they are indestructable) and it was a small flat spot but one over 6 in across so that the impact must have been great to do that much damage to it.

well once my friend opened the case he made one look at it and told me the system was trashed, and i told him to knock it off and be serious and he was the system was trashed. well first thing i told him was to tell the driver to call his boss and to get him out to his house to begin the process of taking care of the claim. well since my friend was only about 4 hours away i told him i was on my way over to see this since this was going to be a bad one considering the claim was going to be over 4k. well later that day i showed up at his house just about the same time station manager did, well he took a look at it and said that it must have been a case of i didnt pack it right, well i told him that he was a complete idiot and must not know how to pack a brick. after that i explained to him that a pelican case was basically gaurented againest anything and that to cause this type of damage it must have been dropped out of the airplaine, well he continued to robot speak the company claim line of i didnt pack it right. well i told hime it was packed just right because the station manager in the other city said it should make it with out a scratch on it. well the manager refused to do anything about it.

so i asked him for his name, postion and badge number, and for his bosses name and number, and that this wasnt over with, his responce was yeah right. well after he left i pulled out my camera and laptop and took several (around 30 pics) of the case and computer and then printed them out for the report i was going to file. well after the prints were done i called rthe number i had for filing a claim and had my friend file the claim, since i wasnt able to do it. well he filed the claim and they said that they would have someone to come and fill out the paperwork, well low and behold it was the station manager that came out to do it and he said that it wasnt packed right and left, not even 5 minutes.

well after he left i was furious because there was no way i was going to lose a friendship and over 4k since that money for me is almost 6 months worth of money (im in college). well that night i wrote a letter to the president and several of the top fedex executives explaining the situation and that i expected them to fix the situation in a hurry before i hired a lawyer to sue for breach of contract (the insurance for the case) and also made the reference to them mentioned in my previous post of not using them again and further not recommending them to anyone else based on there procedures for handling claims that are obviously there fault. after that i overnighted the letters to the execs (via usps) and with in a week i had calls from fedex main office in memphis asking to settle the claim. well with in a week i had my money back and had the money to rebuild the system and a new pelican case, and reshipped it at fedex's expense using a private courier so that it wouldnt be damaged. well it cost fedex almost a grand to have it sent via a private courier instead of just deliever the case without damge in the first case, but thats there problem.

moral of the story even packing it to survive armegeddon wont insure it wont make it, so keep fighting with them because if they know that you will persue other options they will be more likely to fix the problem. I also wont use fedex again along with DHL, and several others

I know this is an old thread but I am currently dealing with the horrible UPS!!! I recently shipped an item that was damaged. I PAID FOR EXTRA INSURANCE, MARKED BREAKABLE ON THE RECIEPT, AND MADE SURE I PACKAGED IT PERFECTLY. The item is metal and the person I sent it to recieved the item all bent up and broken. I filed a claim and of course UPS refused it because of insnifficant packaging. Whats even worse is before I sent this package I had an UPS employee inspect it and confirm that packaging was okay. I want to despute the claim but the store I ship it through REFUSES TO HELP ME! The package was NOT INSPECTED IN FRONT OF ME OR THE RECIEVER. THEY WILL NOT TELL ME WHO INSPECTED THE PACKAGE AND THEY CURRENTLY HAVE THE PACKAGE/ITEM IN POSSESSION. I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING! NO ONE WILL HELP ME! I contacted the local UPS/Mail Boxes Etc.. store owner to see if I could get any help. He wouldn't do anything and I told him that I was planning on contacting the Better Business Bureau. He laughed and said that wouldn't do anything!

If anyone has suggestions, I'd appriciate it! I'm looking for any numbers I can call, addresses I can write to, ANYTHING!! PLEASE HELP ME!

Update for today:

The store owner called me today and was pissed that I called the corporate office. He even had the nerve to tell me that I WAS NOTHING. He called me a B**** and said that he's gonna do everything in his power to make sure I don't get anything.

AND NOW UPS HAS NO IDEA WHERE MY PACKAGE/ITEM IS! THEY SAID THAT EVERYTHING IS GONE! (this item was $200)

I asked to speak to a manager and I got it squared away and got a check out of them.

Either has to pony up the (now borken) item and return it to you (since the reciever apparently refused delivery) or a check for the value of the insurance you paid for. It's no longer a "packaging" issue unless they can miraculously "find" the item. In that case the fight goes a different direction

If all else fails filing for damages in a small claims court can work wonders. If going to court be sure to add the value of your time spent persuing this through "other means" at your "professional" rate. That rate should NOT be under $100/hour even if just to get their attention. Also be sure to add the cost of your attorney and the filing fee.

Filing and winning RICO suit for fraudulent business practices will be an expensive long shot, but if you can get a hungry class action lawyer in on the deal you both may be able to retire. 3X damages on several million lost and/or damaged packages a year has to add up. Just the discovery motion would cost them several million $s in legal and document duplication fees.

FT

Thank you for your advice. They did end up miraculously finding the package. I was told to come pick it up at the store I sent it through. I went to pick it up today and when I opened the package up.....guess what....... there were feces everywhere. I'm not sure if it is human poop or from an animal. I called the police and health department.

I have no doubt in my mind that someone from the UPS store did this :wacko: Possibly the owner since he basically threatened me yesterday.

Now the DA is involved! If you have your own lawyer you may even be able to get civil damages out of the feces deal.

Sounds like the UPS store manager needs a new line of work. In MS they chop cotton and raise veggies at the state prison farm in Parchman. This boy sounds like he needs a hoe!

FT

I hate trolls.....maryg...find something better to do with your spare time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom