uPSIDEdOWN pONY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
I realise the original question was about a slung pony... but what's a pony tank got to do with hogarthian diving? Especially back mounted - the whole idea of a hogarthian rig is minimalisation and streamling - putting a line trap on your back is hardly streamlined.

How exactly is a back-mounted pony any different than doubles (or a DIR mounted argon bottle) when it comes to being an entanglement hazard?

And as far as whether ponies are hogarthian, that is a question unto itself. It's certainly not "Irvinian" DIR, but "hogarthian" is not bound by the opinions of the former WKPP project director.

theskull:
If carrying a slung pony upsets your trim, you are not ready to be swimming with a slung pony. Get the trim and buoyancy NAILED first, then start adding technical equipment to your diving--and then practice with it.

thekskull
I didn't say it "upsets" it, I said it "effects" it (which of course it would) and that I prefer the effect when it is upside-down. However, your comment about my trim and buoyancy skills does manage to facilitate not answering the question. Thanks for the help. :wink:

CRDiver:
How exactly is a back-mounted pony any different than doubles (or a DIR mounted argon bottle) when it comes to being an entanglement hazard?

And as far as whether ponies are hogarthian, that is a question unto itself. It's certainly not "Irvinian" DIR, but "hogarthian" is not bound by the opinions of the former WKPP project director.
For starters, this is the hogarthian forum - don't bring DIR or George Irvine into the thread.

A set of doubles usually has a manifold bridging the tanks - a back mounted pony forms a channel between the pony and the main tank, to the depth of the first mounting bracket or camstrap holding the pony. Board members have reported getting line caught in there.

Scubaroo:
For starters, this is the hogarthian forum - don't bring DIR or George Irvine into the thread.

A set of doubles usually has a manifold bridging the tanks - a back mounted pony forms a channel between the pony and the main tank, to the depth of the first mounting bracket or camstrap holding the pony. Board members have reported getting line caught in there.

Actually, it's *you* who inadvertantly brought DIR into the discussion by questioning the utility of pony questions in a hogarthian forum.. implying backmounted ponies aren't hogarthian... That's simply DIR baggage brought to the hogarthian party. Hogarthian isn't nearly as concrete as DIR, though I would imagine most self-proclaimed hogarthians would favor slinging over backmounting.

Second, I've dove doubles with isolation manifolds, and they still present an entanglement hazard not far off from that of a pony, though in a different way.

That being said, the Halcyon argon bottle mount is essentially a pony bottle mount that has been used by the WKPP (and others) everywhere from Wakulla to the Britannic, strapped to the side of doubles just like a pony, and it doesn't appear to present a hazard when used by capable divers

I just don't think the jury is out on the whole question of ponies.

Rick Inman:
I didn't say it "upsets" it, I said it "effects" it (which of course it would) and that I prefer the effect when it is upside-down. However, your comment about my trim and buoyancy skills does manage to facilitate not answering the question. Thanks for the help. :wink:

Oh, but it so very much does answer the question. Of course an item on one side that starts out a little negative and becomes a little positive throughout the dive "effects" buoyancy. BUT, those of us who regularly dive with a slung pony don't even notice the effect, the adjustment is made unconsciously.

You'll get there. Just keep diving with it in the conventional configuration and try to not notice it. If you do indeed have sufficient trim and buoyancy skills to be moving from rec to tec you will not be "unhappy with the effect".

theskull

Actually, I can see how it might have an effect on 'trim', but I can't see that it should have much effect on 'buoyancy' - given that one knows how to use ones BCD/Wing.

As a pony is a back up - and not really to be normally used as an air source - presumably it stays the same weight through a dive anyway, no?

Kim:
Actually, I can see how it might have an effect on 'trim', but I can't see that it should have much effect on 'buoyancy' - given that one knows how to use ones BCD/Wing.

As a pony is a back up - and not really to be normally used as an air source - presumably it stays the same weight through a dive anyway, no?

In many cases, yes, you would carry a pony as a back-up and not breathe it, especially the little 13cf referred to in the original question, in which case it would not change during the dive.

Many of us will also make a dive with a little larger pony--40cf or 80cf-- and breathe the pony rather than the back-gas. In this case your back-gas is your backup source, and for the next dive you start with very nearly full tank(s) of back-gas and don't have to make a change-out or get a fill between dives.

theskull

CRDiver:
Actually, it's *you* who inadvertantly brought DIR into the discussion by questioning the utility of pony questions in a hogarthian forum
Oh BS. You mentioned it first. I'm sure you don't need a lecture on what is or isn't hogarthian, but I stand by my position that a back-mounted pony tank wouldn't fit into the hogarthian philosophy of minimalisation and streamlining. Probably my post was badly worded and I should just have focused on the backmounted rather than a pony in general, but don't try and pass "who brought DIR into this" onto me bud.

Slightly off topic - but you might also have noticed that argon bottles have moved to either on the waist harness, or on the side of the backplate.

Tell you what, I have a business contact who's a close friend of Bill Main, he's in Floriday early January, I'll get him to ask what Bill's position is on back-mounted pony tanks :eyebrow:

Try turning off the "CAPs lock" key, then, when you hit the shift key it won't make your intended caps be lower case, and your lower case CAPs (upper). But hey,
I read an article in the LA times, they said that is the way to go.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom