Urgent help needed - missing a part and can't dive - anyone got a workaround

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian42

Registered
Reaction score
Somehow my GoPro seems to have come with a wrong piece. I have a Hero3 but maybe I got a part from a hero 2? The little black plastic thing with the screw inside is too short or too fat (or both). I cannot tighten it because it does not clear the housing.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to secure this thing so I can dive tomorrow? Spent over $1k on this thing plus accessories and now I can't even use it due to a 50 cent piece of plastic and a screw. :shakehead:

I don't know if you can tell easily from the picture but its' this little black thing with the screw shown below. It just simply cannot be turned and tightened because it doesn't clear the clear plastic housing around the GoPro

photo.jpg

A couple of washers under the thumb screw? Or maybe place the screw assy. in from other side? Good luck.
See you topside! John

You should have got a longer bolt as standard. Just tighten as best you can then use a No 2 Phillips head screwdriver to tighten it up. Look in the end of the black plastic bolt and you will see what I mean

Did u buy othet accessories from gopro? Some of these shorter pieces comes with them. Do some markings if u do find the longer ones. If its really all short ones. U can write to gopro about it. They might send u some longer ones. Or just do what is advise above... use the Phillips screwdriver.

There is a longer version of that bolt that you should have, the short ones are for the various clamps/mounts. If all else fails thats an M5 thread, get a stainless bolt from any marine or hardware store. Or any nut/bolt that fits the hole will get you through the weekend.

doesnt even need to be stainless.. for the weekend

Thanks guys. I found an option b.) - I ground down the plastic. I didn't even have a screw driver I'm just on vacation, all the shops were closed and had to work with what I had (nothing).

And to answer above yes GoPro really gave me all short ones. I did get some accessories and I have a couple of these things and they're all short.

Thanks.

That bolt comes with the square presentation mount that the camera was mounted on in the box. Yes, there should have been a couple of extra bolts.

Back
Top Bottom