URGENT help..newbie here made a big mistake (I think)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MCF

Registered
Reaction score
First, want to say hello to everyone, this is my first post!! Now being an Enginerd, I usually research things extensively before making a decision, but for some reason when it came to my first real snorkeling gear I did no research until after the fact. I am going to the British Virgin Islands in two weeks for 7 days and plan on doing a lot of snorkeling. Yesterday I went to my local scuba shop and think I made the mistake (after reading) of letting the scuba shop convince me to get scuba gear because one day I may graduate to scuba (chances are slim to none). The cost of the gear does not bother me (even though I now know I can get the same stuff on-line for 2/3 the cost)...

I have a pretty narrow face and the best fitting mask was the Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask...it fits great and I like the low profile, but is it good for snorkeling!?!? When I got home and put the mask on and the snorkel on the side of the mask, it seemed like the weight of the snorkel put a lot of pressure on the left side of my nose (I believe this is due to the frameless mask design). Did I get the wrong mask or will this problem disappear when in the water or should I get a normal 'framed mask'? If so, any recommendations for someone with a narrow face??

2nd, I ended up with the Aqua Lung Impulse 3 snorkel (which I like all the features), but I got the 'floppy' version (which I now read is better for scuba). Should I have gone with the 'straight pipe' version or another snorkel? The mouthpiece also seems a little big, but I can live with this if everything else is ok (but I seem to think straight pipe would be better).

Lsatly, I got the Atomic Aquatics Split Fin full foot fins. I actually believe these will be great for snorkeling and I believe they fit correctly. I have very narrow feet and usually wear a size 12-13 (6'5"), but these fins are the 10.5-11.5 size, but the width feels real nice and my big toe and 2nd toe stick out the front of the boot about 1/4 - 1/2"? I assume this is ok? Any thoughts? I think a tad small would be better than a tad big (big would be slipping all over when wet)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am leaving in 13 days and need to get my equipment. Thankfully my receipt says I can return my equipment within 7 days for a full refund. Maybe I am over analyzing with the mask and snorkel (Enginerd kicking in I guess) but as this is my first real snorkeling trip, I want to get good equipment and really enjoy myself! Thanks!!!!!

Well, I am by no means technical in any way...but this is what I would do. Does your shop have a pool? Do you have a chance to try it out and then make a decision? If your shop doesn't have a pool , do you have access to one? Also, make sure you can try it without voiding the refund policy.

If you have no use for the gear...return it. I never snorkeled...I went straight to diving. I bought my equipment right away so that I could train with it. Why have it if you are not going to use it.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. I am sure the board will come up with a lot of other answers for you.

The snorkel will have less weight in the water and shouldn't pull on your nose. The biggest thing about your mask is the fit. If it's keeping a seal, then you should be fine for snorkeling. And the fins don't do anything except make it easier to kick, so as long as they're comfortable you should be all right. The differences really pile up though when you start diving. That's when you don the short sleeve white shirt, clip on your black tie, slip in your pocket protector, and break out your sliderule and run your calculations. But on the surface, you're there to relax and check out the life below you. So put your worries aside, and enjoy your trip. You'll be just fine.

Yesterday I went to my local scuba shop and think I made the mistake (after reading) of letting the scuba shop convince me to get scuba gear because one day I may graduate to scuba (chances are slim to none).

You may rethink this after snorkeling in the BVI! It's so much better being down below and right in the middle of the action. Besides, being an "enginerd", you'll love playing with all the real scuba gear.

MCF,

Can you snorkel with that gear? Of course, but since you said it's very unlikely you'll go to scuba, there's a better chance you'll just get better at snorkeling... as in freediving!

The gear you bought is not ideal for snorkeling and certainly not freediving. For the same kind of money, or less you could get some long Cressi Gara or Omer fins, a more streamlined lower volume mask and a simpler non-flex snorkel. Add to that a rubber Marseilles style weight belt and you have the hard goods.

Even the BVI is not warm in December. I'd get at least a shorty wetsuit too, if not a stretchy full suit. That way you'll be able to stay in a long time.

Where are you? I can recommend stores. Some are online as well, Like Austin's in Miami and Diver's Direct, 6 stores from Orlando to Key West.

Chad

you could try some other means of attaching your snorkel to your mask besides the standard plastic clip that probably came with. for the rare instances that my snorkel is attached to my mask ie: freediving I like to use a neoprene snorkel keeper it allows the snorkel to sit a little more comfortably IMO.
Have fun in BVI

MCF,

Can you snorkel with that gear? Of course, but since you said it's very unlikely you'll go to scuba, there's a better chance you'll just get better at snorkeling... as in freediving!

The gear you bought is not ideal for snorkeling and certainly not freediving. For the same kind of money, or less you could get some long Cressi Gara or Omer fins, a more streamlined lower volume mask and a simpler non-flex snorkel. Add to that a rubber Marseilles style weight belt and you have the hard goods.

Even the BVI is not warm in December. I'd get at least a shorty wetsuit too, if not a stretchy full suit. That way you'll be able to stay in a long time.

Where are you? I can recommend stores. Some are online as well, Like Austin's in Miami and Diver's Direct, 6 stores from Orlando to Key West.

Chad

I am located in Houston, Texas......the mask fits great as far as i can tell..just concerned that the heavy snorkel will cause some discomfort. Unfortunately, at this stage of my life (mid 30's about to start a family) I don't see scuba anytime in the near future and probably at most over the next 5 years I MAY take a snorkel trip once a year. Even if I were to stay with the exact same equipment, I can save over $100 by getting from leisurepro.com, but I am going to find a mask locally that works great for snorkeling alone and maybe exchange the flexi snorkel for the rigid snorkel...

One more thing....how do I know if I have the regular or medium frameless mask (per the website, the part number is the same)?

Perhaps the shop thought they were doing the right thing encouraging you to buy dive gear in case you ever decided to dive, but more likely they just wanted to make more money.

It's a nice mask and if it fits it will work fine, though it's true you could probably find something cheaper that would also work, for diving or snorkeling. So up to you, if you don't mind the money and it fits I'd say keep it. Note that it's good to buy masks locally rather than ordering as fit is the most important thing in a mask, especially for diving, not quite as big a deal for snorkeling but sure doesn't hurt. As you discovered fit can vary a lot. (Many people consider picking out a mask by trying them in a shop, then buying the same thing online, tacky.)

I doubt the snorkel weight will be a problem once you're in the water, but it's true flex snorkels are really intended more for diving. The idea is since you don't use it most of the time you want it to drop out of the way. Flexible snorkels can tend to pull away from your mouth just a little, enough that it can be more tiring to hold in your mouth a long time while snorkeling. If I were buying something specifically for snorkeling I would avoid the flexible ones. And if I were buying one for diving I would buy something compact and collapsible. (Lots of people don't actually wear snorkels while diving.) I'm not sure this snorkel is ideal for either, in your case I'd definitely swap for the non flexible version.

The fins you bought will work, but they're overkill. If you're snorkeling (not freediving) you just don't need as much power as when scube diving in a bunch of gear. And note that while full foot fins are generally at least cheaper than the versions with straps, they're not suitable for all places. They are best if you're jumping off a boat or entering the water from a nice sandy beach without lots of rocks and coral. If you are anyplace that will be rough on your feet you are better off with booties and strap fins. If you are in cold water where you need booties, ditto. I guess some people manage to wear booties in full foot fins, but it usually doesn't work that well. So if you did dive, these might not even be suitable fins for you. Also, some people love split fins and some people hate them, so again if you started to dive you might not find these suitable.

Perhaps the shop thought they were doing the right thing encouraging you to buy dive gear in case you ever decided to dive, but more likely they just wanted to make more money.

It's a nice mask and if it fits it will work fine, though it's true you could probably find something cheaper that would also work, for diving or snorkeling. So up to you, if you don't mind the money and it fits I'd say keep it. Note that it's good to buy masks locally rather than ordering as fit is the most important thing in a mask, especially for diving, not quite as big a deal for snorkeling but sure doesn't hurt. As you discovered fit can vary a lot. (Many people consider picking out a mask by trying them in a shop, then buying the same thing online, tacky.)

I doubt the snorkel weight will be a problem once you're in the water, but it's true flex snorkels are really intended more for diving. The idea is since you don't use it most of the time you want it to drop out of the way. Flexible snorkels can tend to pull away from your mouth just a little, enough that it can be more tiring to hold in your mouth a long time while snorkeling. If I were buying something specifically for snorkeling I would avoid the flexible ones. And if I were buying one for diving I would buy something compact and collapsible. (Lots of people don't actually wear snorkels while diving.) I'm not sure this snorkel is ideal for either, in your case I'd definitely swap for the non flexible version.

The fins you bought will work, but they're overkill. If you're snorkeling (not freediving) you just don't need as much power as when scube diving in a bunch of gear. And note that while full foot fins are generally at least cheaper than the versions with straps, they're not suitable for all places. They are best if you're jumping off a boat or entering the water from a nice sandy beach without lots of rocks and coral. If you are anyplace that will be rough on your feet you are better off with booties and strap fins. If you are in cold water where you need booties, ditto. I guess some people manage to wear booties in full foot fins, but it usually doesn't work that well. So if you did dive, these might not even be suitable fins for you. Also, some people love split fins and some people hate them, so again if you started to dive you might not find these suitable.

The mask does fit (no gaps without any pressure and can VERY easily pull vacuum and hold in place without straps even when looking straight ahead)...was just concered that frameless was not that good for snorkeling. The fins, I like they way they feel even dry and I believe my father in law mentioned swimming pretty good distances while in St. Johns so I think they will stay as well. Regarding the snorkel, yeah, it has to go..if I can not get the rigid impulse three locally, any other suggestions?

Lastly, is there any way to tell if the frameless mask is a regular or medium by just looking at it (or can someone post their Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask size and the dimensions inside the seal (left to right and top to bottom) so I can determine which one I have?

Back
Top Bottom