URGENT help..newbie here made a big mistake (I think)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, at this stage of my life (mid 30's about to start a family) I don't see scuba anytime in the near future and probably at most over the next 5 years I MAY take a snorkel trip once a year.

Don't let money stop you.

I bought a really first-class SCUBAPro regulator on eBay for $50, then spent another $75 getting it serviced. It's probably 30 years old, but works every bit as good as my brand-new stuff.

You should be able to buy a lightly-used BC from someone who took up SCUBA, was sold all their gear then never went diving again. As sad as this sounds, it's actually pretty common with people who take a fast class then dive once on vacation and give it up.

If you can scrape up a little money now and then, have some patience, and aren't in a hurry, you can have your own first-class set of SCUBA gear for probably well under $300.

As for places to dive, almost everybody lives near some sort of water, and it's almost all diveable.

Terry

When I bought mask, fins, snorkel for my then 12 year-old, I bought "snorkeling quality". With a pair of booties, the total bill was < $100. She has had this stuff down to 70 fsw with no issues.

As far as I am concerned, fit is vastly more important than name brand or "quality."

Now that you have had some experience and some good advice, return what you bought and find a shop that cares about customer service and what the customer wants, rather than just taking advantage of a "newbie."

Or shop online at Leisure Pro, ScubaToys, Divers Direct or another retailer.

Good Luck!

When I bought mask, fins, snorkel for my then 12 year-old, I bought "snorkeling quality". With a pair of booties, the total bill was < $100. She has had this stuff down to 70 fsw with no issues.

As far as I am concerned, fit is vastly more important than name brand or "quality."

Now that you have had some experience and some good advice, return what you bought and find a shop that cares about customer service and what the customer wants, rather than just taking advantage of a "newbie."

Or shop online at Leisure Pro, ScubaToys, Divers Direct or another retailer.

Good Luck!

I appreciate everyone's advice, but not many of my questions have been aswered yet. If the mask fits perfectly, is the frameless design GREAT for snorkeling with a snorkel attached to it 100% of the time. I am sure I am taking the snorkel and fins back as I can get them for $75 less on line and get the rigid snorkel over the flexy snorkel, but I can not decide about the aquatics frameless mask. Is it considered a GREAT (I say great because for $100, I want great) snorkeling mask or should I take it back and try another shop for a GREAT snorkeling mask. Thanks again!!

I prefer the flexi snorkels. They are much more comfortable.

Of course, these days I don't take my snork down with me, but that's another story.

If the mask fits, it should be fine. I've never heard anyone discuss the merits of a "snorkeling" mask vs diving mask. But I sure wouldn't spend $100 on a mask, I don't think there's that much of a difference.

And whoever said to change fins--yes. There are snorkeling specific fins which are more efficient at propelling you on the surface.

I appreciate everyone's advice, but not many of my questions have been aswered yet. If the mask fits perfectly, is the frameless design GREAT for snorkeling with a snorkel attached to it 100% of the time. I am sure I am taking the snorkel and fins back as I can get them for $75 less on line and get the rigid snorkel over the flexy snorkel, but I can not decide about the aquatics frameless mask. Is it considered a GREAT (I say great because for $100, I want great) snorkeling mask or should I take it back and try another shop for a GREAT snorkeling mask. Thanks again!!

Great, as you put it, is only someone's opinion. If it works well for you, then it is great. For most purposes, a mask is a mask is a mask. If it fits your face, doesn't leak, and is comfortable, use it. The mask that I use is about 14 years old. The clear silicone is discolored but it still seals well. I have no plans to replace it unless it breaks.

There are different ways to mount a snorkel and each has advantages and disadvantages. I wear mine behind and under my left ear attached to the lower strap with a silicone snorkel keeper. Others I have seen include tucking it under the mask strap in front of the ear (this lets the diver store it in some other place on his/her person and retrieve it for use) and clipped to the outside of the mask strap in front of the ear. You'll have to decide what is best for you.

I use the same fins for snorkeling and diving. They are original USD Blades and I own three pairs. If I see a decent set on eBay, I might buy another.

Again, good luck on your trip!

The reason no one's telling you what makes a "great" mask for snorkeling is, well, there really isn't anything special. If it fits it's fine. It's a mask, not the space shuttle. Don't know what you're looking to hear. (You do generally want a low profile mask so you have a wide field of vision instead of wearing a fishbowl on your face, but most masks available now are pretty low profile.) No one is going to explain to you why a $100 mask that fits is 2.5 times as good as a $40 mask that fits, because it's not. The $100 mask may have some nice features, sure, but nothing that really matters. Don't over-analyze this. (I'm an engineer too, I understand about over analysis.)

Be careful of buying on line when you don't have much time. Some scuba places are very good about knowing exactly what they have in stock and shipping promptly, and some are not. Some places websites will say something is in stock when it's not. And some places say they'll ship the next day but screw up. So you could return your expensive mask and fins to save $75, spend part of that on shipping, and not get your stuff in time.

The reason no one's telling you what makes a "great" mask for snorkeling is, well, there really isn't anything special. If it fits it's fine. It's a mask, not the space shuttle. Don't know what you're looking to hear. (You do generally want a low profile mask so you have a wide field of vision instead of wearing a fishbowl on your face, but most masks available now are pretty low profile.) No one is going to explain to you why a $100 mask that fits is 2.5 times as good as a $40 mask that fits, because it's not. The $100 mask may have some nice features, sure, but nothing that really matters. Don't over-analyze this. (I'm an engineer too, I understand about over analysis.)

Be careful of buying on line when you don't have much time. Some scuba places are very good about knowing exactly what they have in stock and shipping promptly, and some are not. Some places websites will say something is in stock when it's not. And some places say they'll ship the next day but screw up. So you could return your expensive mask and fins to save $75, spend part of that on shipping, and not get your stuff in time.
Thanks for the advice!! I believe I am going to return the fins and flexi snorkel (I know the local store does not have the fixed tube Impulse 3 in lie) and order them on-line to cut costs ~$100...I have two weeks so if I order from Leisurepro tomorrow, it should not be a problem. I keep putting the mask on and really like the way it fits (VERY little effort to pull vacuum) so someone can tell me a good reason that a frameless mask (in particular the Atomic Aquatics Frameless) is NOT a good reason for snorkeling, I am going to keep it. Thanks!!

Shipping from Dallas down to Houston is just one day... which makes it nice in case anything has to be swapped out. My favorite snorkel is the Tusa Hyperdry. It has the most comfortable mouthpiece I've run into and is very easy to clear.

The flex vs straight tube is not that big of a deal, as long as the flex flexes easily. I never use my snorkel when diving - but I love it for snorkeling.

As far as the fins, we carry Atomic - and they are a bit expensive. The big decision you have to make is if you want full foot, or strap heel. You might lean to strap heels if you will be doing walking over rough terrain getting to the water.

As others have pointed out - if you are going into full fledged free diving - those would not be the fins of choice - but they are pretty nice. Actually, one of the top rated full foot fins in the last scuba diving test was the Mares Superchannel. Mares Avanti Superchannel Fin , Snorkeling Equipment, Mares, Mares Avanti Superchannel Fin

They are sweet fins, and under 50 bucks.

The long free diving fins get a bit expensive - in the 150 plus range...

As far as frameless masks - there are a lot of them on the market- and the one thing the atomic has is this new super clear glass. They will all fit about the same, it's just that normal glass has a slight green tint to it. I really don't know if that is enough for anyone to notice a difference - but it is the big selling point.

And I'll add like a lot of the other folks... we hope you get hooked and can't wait to get your full scuba cert!

Have a great trip!

Shipping from Dallas down to Houston is just one day... which makes it nice in case anything has to be swapped out. My favorite snorkel is the Tusa Hyperdry. It has the most comfortable mouthpiece I've run into and is very easy to clear.

The flex vs straight tube is not that big of a deal, as long as the flex flexes easily. I never use my snorkel when diving - but I love it for snorkeling.

As far as the fins, we carry Atomic - and they are a bit expensive. The big decision you have to make is if you want full foot, or strap heel. You might lean to strap heels if you will be doing walking over rough terrain getting to the water.

As others have pointed out - if you are going into full fledged free diving - those would not be the fins of choice - but they are pretty nice. Actually, one of the top rated full foot fins in the last scuba diving test was the Mares Superchannel. Mares Avanti Superchannel Fin , Snorkeling Equipment, Mares, Mares Avanti Superchannel Fin

They are sweet fins, and under 50 bucks.

The long free diving fins get a bit expensive - in the 150 plus range...

As far as frameless masks - there are a lot of them on the market- and the one thing the atomic has is this new super clear glass. They will all fit about the same, it's just that normal glass has a slight green tint to it. I really don't know if that is enough for anyone to notice a difference - but it is the big selling point.

And I'll add like a lot of the other folks... we hope you get hooked and can't wait to get your full scuba cert!

Have a great trip!

Thanks..those fins look great, but unfortunately, they don't come in my size..I need a 43-44 (10.5-11.5) minimum and these only come in size 9.5 - 10.5. I will check out the other stuff on the website and see if I have any questions.

everyone's got something to say and that includes me.. I really like the atomic aquatics single lens frameless (I'm a freediver/spearfisher) and you can't beat that mask for visibility. I own about a dozen or more masks too. I love it for sight seeing and spearfishing and it's soft enough to drop down to pretty good depths, but it's not a super low volume freediving mask by any means. It was a nuisance to get it to quit fogging though.. I cleaned it good probably 3 or 4 times with the toothpaste deal before it finally quit the foggin.

Back
Top Bottom