URGENT help..newbie here made a big mistake (I think)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the fin test referenced by Scubatoys above, and another fin that did well there was the Oceanic Caribe X. Also very reasonable. Aeris Velocity is another good full foot fin. Full foot fins are ideal for snorkelling and freediving because they transfer power more efficiently than strap type fins and boots. They are very sleek hydrodynamically, and speed is more important to snorkelers and freedivers than it is for scuba.

Your frameless mask seems to fit very well and is about average in volume. It's the volume and bulk that freedivers avoid, but if not diving beyond 70+ feet it won't be an issue. I like the super clear glass, we just got that for all our masks. The new Zeagle Onyx is a hot mask for freediving and scuba. But keeping your Atomic sounds like a good idea for you.

The thing about snorkels for divers that actually use them... avid snorkelers and freedivers... is that you want a super comfortable mouthpiece that does not flex away. You want to be able to relax your jaw while breathing, not have to clench to keep it from puilling away. Other than that the snorkel should be as streamlined as possible, not top heavy. No dry feature, but a drain is ok. The Impulse 3 non-flex would be OK, but there are also many simple models out there that work very well too.

It sounds like Scubatoys would be your best bet, being so close to you. They are a highly rated dive store, and have most of the gear I mentioned.

Later on you might pick up some long fins if you really get into freediving.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

I saw the fin test referenced by Scubatoys above, and another fin that did well there was the Oceanic Caribe X. Also very reasonable. Aeris Velocity is another good full foot fin. Full foot fins are ideal for snorkelling and freediving because they transfer power more efficiently than strap type fins and boots. They are very sleek hydrodynamically, and speed is more important to snorkelers and freedivers than it is for scuba.

Your frameless mask seems to fit very well and is about average in volume. It's the volume and bulk that freedivers avoid, but if not diving beyond 70+ feet it won't be an issue. I like the super clear glass, we just got that for all our masks. The new Zeagle Onyx is a hot mask for freediving and scuba. But keeping your Atomic sounds like a good idea for you.

The thing about snorkels for divers that actually use them... avid snorkelers and freedivers... is that you want a super comfortable mouthpiece that does not flex away. You want to be able to relax your jaw while breathing, not have to clench to keep it from puilling away. Other than that the snorkel should be as streamlined as possible, not top heavy. No dry feature, but a drain is ok. The Impulse 3 non-flex would be OK, but there are also many simple models out there that work very well too.

It sounds like Scubatoys would be your best bet, being so close to you. They are a highly rated dive store, and have most of the gear I mentioned.

Later on you might pick up some long fins if you really get into freediving.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

I kept the atomic frameless mask (as I don't EVER see going deeper than about 10-20 feet and it fits great as far as I can tell) and returned the snorkel and fins (no issue). Now I just need to get a good set of snorkeling fins (full foot for US size 120-13 / 43-44) and a simple snorkel with drain. I think I am going with the Aeris Velocity Full Foot ($30).

Any suggestions for a simple rigid snorkel with drain (how about the Akona Caicos Snorkel)?

Thanks!!

If you really want a good snorkel/freediving fin look into a long full-foot fin. You'll want the fin pocket to fit perfect (with a sock) so you should check them out in stores before buying anything online for sure. Check out Cressi or Omer as previously mentioned. Also, the proper stiffness for both you personally and the depths/temps you'll be diving is important.

As stated previously about the mask, if it fits you and you like it, that is all that matters. Other than that all you really want is something that is low volume.

For snorkels, it again comes down to preference. You want it to feel comfortable when you're breathing from it and not fatigue your jaw. I have the impulse3 flex snorkel. Maybe a straight non-flex would be better but I have yet to have any jaw fatigue or problems with it. Feels nice and works well.

Anyhow, you are definitely putting a lot of thought, effort, and money forth for something that you said you "MAY" do once a year over the next five years. I can see wanting your own gear, and wanting it to be quality stuff, but you may ask yourself if it is worth it or not. Maybe keep the mask, get a snorkel, and just rent fins wherever/whenever you get wet. I don't think many places charge more than $5 a day for *decent* fin rentals. That way you do not have to worry about them taking up luggage space. Also, if you are not going to get into it anymore than possibly once a year, as you said, you do not need anything spectacular to have fun by any means. However, if you seriously think that you may get into it more or get into freediving, then go with the best you can afford (meaning some good long fins).

...and to follow up with the snorkel. Along with going straight tube most will also advise to stay away from any snorkels with purge valves and such as they may become just another failure point. How often this happens, no clue. Like I said, I have the Impulse3 but the idea of going to inhale and being greeted with nothing but water does not sound fun.

OmerSub Zoom Snorkel from LeisurePro.com

I've heard freedivers say good things about that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom