URGENT LIFE AND DEATH Missing Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That just may be the dumbest thing I have read on Scubaboard., Is he suggesting an inboard is better or suggesting that no one should head to sea under power? What about the Kayakers that went missing? I guess maybe anyone at all ever going into the sea is "begging for instant expedition" whatever that really means

I think that he was suggesting that this:
Picture25-1.png

... might have been ill advised.

Dunno, I'm not him and I wasn't there. Looks like a p.o.s. toy to me.

I hope he has a hell of a good story to tell upon his return.

I believe you may be right
Those little motorized paddleboats look like a hoot but of course taking them offshore is probably not a good idea unless you can squeeze a radio, couple hundred feet or so of anchorline and an anchor and emergency kit somewhere.

I promise you my wife would not be found on that "cat" on the 450 acre lake we're on!

It doesn't look like there is room for fishing gear much less radio, anchor, rope, etc. Hope they find the guy!

I bet you can buy that thing in the Overton's catalog!

Ok, I asked for the nationality of the missing person becuase I am a Warden for the US Embassy and if he is American you may be able to seek assistance from the US Government which obviously has extensive air assets in Honduras.

I got the picture of the boat and candidly, it is unlikely that a craft of that size could remain afloat at least in an upright position for very long with the current seas running between Roatan and Utila. Current weather conditions will keep almost all small craft (and mine is a 26' center console with twin 115hp fourstrokes) from even attempting a search and rescue. That is why I am suggesting that you get a plot from one of the Port Captains on Roatan and launch an aircraft search versus a boat search.

In the current conditions a boat would be extremely unlikely to find your lost fisherman. Don't give up, there is always a chance but try to act quickly.

Ok, I asked for the nationality of the missing person becuase I am a Warden for the US Embassy and if he is American you may be able to seek assistance from the US Government which obviously has extensive air assets in Honduras.

I have no idea how to contact them, but you might also want to notify the cruise lines. There are ships passing through every day and they're all loaded with all sorts of equipment. I'm sure they would be happy to keep an eye out as they pass through.

Terry

The US, Honduras and Belize have called off their search efforts. The family is still searching with private planes/boats.

The US, Honduras and Belize have called off their search efforts. The family is still searching with private planes/boats.

I know the outlook is obviously bad but we can still hold out hope for a positive ending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom