URGENT (MAYDAY) Diving Philippines in December - Typhoon???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello:

I need your help urgently if you live in the Philippines.

I have booked and paid to dive the Philippines from December 5 to January 1. I am diving Malapascua Island, Bohol, Cabilao Island and Dumaguetti.

I leave in 50 hours........... Just heard about the typhoon, and another possibly on the way.

I urgently need advice from Philippine divers as to whether it is worth going on my trip or not?? I can cancel and only loose a small percentage of my money.

Has the typhoon caused conditions to be undiveable in these areas?? If visiability is useless due to river runoff there is not much point in going diving........

Please reply quickly. Thank you..........Iain & Jolanda

looks like the brunt of the storm (headed NW) is going to miss cebu (malapascua) and in so doing bohol (much further south)

it's going to rain some though but that doesn't generally ruin viz too much since i don't think you're gonna be diving near river mouths

best bet of course is to get in touch with your dive operator and ask them for a no-bull assessment... worst case i think you may consider moving your sked +1 week... actually if things go well, you may only need to postpone departure for 2 or 3 days

(or if you pray hard enough the storm will move much further north while you're on the plane)

i feel for you and really hope you get to come over... the phils. is a great place to spend the holidays

Jag

iainwilliams:
Hello:

I need your help urgently if you live in the Philippines.

I have booked and paid to dive the Philippines from December 5 to January 1. I am diving Malapascua Island, Bohol, Cabilao Island and Dumaguetti.

I leave in 50 hours........... Just heard about the typhoon, and another possibly on the way.

I urgently need advice from Philippine divers as to whether it is worth going on my trip or not?? I can cancel and only loose a small percentage of my money.

Has the typhoon caused conditions to be undiveable in these areas?? If visiability is useless due to river runoff there is not much point in going diving........

Please reply quickly. Thank you..........Iain & Jolanda

Don't worry too much, the typhoon is taking a track toward the north (luzon) as usual so while you will get some rain it hopefully won't be all that bad. Also, if you are going to be diving all the way through until Jan 1 then I wouldn't worry at all - this is awfully late in the year for typhoons, especially ones that hit the visayas. You should expect some nice weather soon!

enjoy your trip!

current storm track here: http://typhoon2000.ph/yoyong04_trak.gif

Talked to my friend in Cebu. He said the weather is ok for diving. Visibility is normal. There are just some rain clouds but no rain yet. I am sure it will come though. Should not be a problem. Since you will be here for 3 weeks it will only affect the first couple of days.

Thanks you for your comments and help.

I have sent some e-mails to the operators I am using and awaiting there replies (hopefully soon).

Your comments have quelled my initial fears somewhat. Problem with CNN and other media is that they are so extreme. The news in Australia is that the whole region is a battle ground with UN relief force and defence force in full swing to rescue people and the like.

Once again thank you. Iain

I know exactly what you mean. According to the news, here in the bottom of the Philippines (General Santos City) we have to walk around bombs and there are kidnappers on every block.

Look at a map of the Philippines. I am in the bottom of the Philippines and its not even raining here. No rain clouds or anything. Could be the hottest day of the year. Cebu is in the middle.

iain! glad you two are pushing through! after all the preparation, not to be able to come and do the dives would be such a waste. i believe you'll be fine though. by the time you're in the area, local flights should have normalized. i know of people who have flown out of the country just a few hours ago. no delays. so no worries there. diving-wise, i agree with what other people are saying. the typhoon will bring some rain to other parts of the country not on it's direct track, but it should clear up. especially in the visayas where you're going. fresh air, fresh bright weather. should be great for diving. vis is often a reef-to-reef, current-to-current basis anyway (hehe)! enjoy the trip! tell us about it when you get back.
lara

iainwilliams:
Thank you.

We are catching our flight tomorrow morning - all systems GO.

Enjoy your diving and holiday season and I hope you all see wonderful critters beneath the sea. Once again thank you for your replies........Iain & Jolanda

I am presently in Cebu and just returned yesterday from Malapascua. Diving is suspended temporarily until the winds and waves die down a bit. Sea Explorers had one of the only boat to go across to Maya from the island due to the coast guard stopping the regular ferries. The crossing really wasn't that bad in my experienc. I've had worse trips getting to Gato Island from Malapascua. Areas more southerly should be just fine. I'm sure there will be a few days you may not get to dive the more remote sites off of Malapascua but usually there are more sheltered areas you can go to until the weather calms. If your itinerary is flexible enough you could follow the good seas and weather.

A word of note. the fishermen have been dynomiting Gato island and east Malapascua island in the last month. the officials seem to be looking the other way. local dive shops are limited in the pressure they can apply as they could end up not having a business license the next time they renew. It is sad that these people don't have more foresight but instead resort to the cheapest and most destructive method of fishing.

good luck on your trip.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom