Urgent Roatan - Utila trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't tell by your post if your flight into RTB is an international one or domestic, but if it's international, you may land at 5:05p, but you'll have another 1/2 min to get through Customs & Img. If it's a domestic, you 'might' make a charter. Check with Alice Hill at Alice@utilatravel.com. If anyone can get you here, she can.

If you stay in RTB Friday, you should have plenty of time for an AM dive on Saturday. I don't think Vern leaves RTB till about 1:30pm.

You have possibly picked the worst day and week of the year to travel in Honduras and Central America.

Semana Santa (Holy Week) is the biggest holiday of the year. The whole region starts to shutdown the Friday before Good Friday.

In terms of transportation and essential services almost nothing functions on Good Friday and barely on Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.

The islands are over run by crowds of people from all over Central America. The transportation is grossly overloaded and highly stressed.

Get to the bus, boat, plane stations extremely early.

Expect the worst, hope for the best!

Good Luck!

Just to follow up... thank you all for your help. We just got back from Utila Friday. Vern hooked us up with a room on Good Friday. We popped in a couple of dives in West End Saturday AM, then sailed over Saturday PM...

Steve, we walked down to your hotel when we were at LBR... It looks beautiful and the couple of guests we spoke with were very happy. I'm sorry we didn't meet in person!

As a footnote, the tour company that we bought the "air only" from, went bust while we were there. We thought (hoped) that we might be stranded for a few days or months... sadly, that wasn't the case... :depressed:

Thank you all once again...

Glad to hear Vern was able to get you hooked up! Sounds like everything worked out for the best & you got to dive 2 islands to boot :)

Glad to hear Vern was able to get you hooked up! Sounds like everything worked out for the best & you got to dive 2 islands to boot :)

We did indeed. Vern is a bit of a character... He was having "one of those days" as I think some government types were making there presence felt around West End last weekend...

It's a great hunk of the world down there. I'm back in the cold and rain today... but at least it isn't snowing anymore~

A bit? I kinda think of him in the 'full fledged' catagory myself, but in a good way :wink:

Yep, the government types like to come out of the wood work on the holidays. We had 2 new employees arrive on his boat last weekend as well with their pets & they were telling us some of what they witnessed.

Glad everything worked out for you!

Yep, the government types like to come out of the wood work on the holidays. We had 2 new employees arrive on his boat last weekend as well with their pets & they were telling us some of what they witnessed.

That would have been the same crossing.... the little black beast... Small world! Nice folks... we enjoyed chatting with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom