US List of Emergency Recompression Chambers Near Active Scuba Diving Locations. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get bent as a boat hull cleaner, the boat you are working on must be pretty big!

:D
Here in the SoCal Twin Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach -one of the largest combined shipping container ports in the US, and in the top twenty of the busiest ports in n the world- that is a distinct possibility. . .

I thought that DAN did NOT want people to just go to a chamber....for various reasons they provide. Going on your own risks voiding DAN's help and/or payment.

So what purpose does this thread serve, unless one does not have DAN insurance?
It is always good to be aware about where the closest chamber is. If it is not reasonably close it might be best to back off your plans a bit.

It is always good to be aware about where the closest chamber is. If it is not reasonably close it might be best to back off your plans a bit.
Yeah, that would make sense. But I certainly haven't heard of a lot of "backing off" from the NY/NJ/FL guys who have very few chambers available to them.

Yeah, that would make sense. But I certainly haven't heard of a lot of "backing off" from the NY/NJ/FL guys who have very few chambers available to them.

It's better to know where you can dive recreationally or professionally as a US Citizen, and your emergency resources covered by tax supported Gov't public programs like Medicaid, if you're a down-on-your luck diver that can't even afford secondary accident insurance like DAN.

My beef with DAN (and with @Duke Dive Medicine here on SB) is that they have a conflict-of-interest in this instance -->claiming that they are the go-to authority on what kind of emergency treatment a DCI patient should seek while trying to sell you their insurance product at the same time.

IMHO -All the info you need to seek and get emergency treatment is there if you're a diving casualty victim in the vicinity of these hospitals/medical center facilities listed in the OP. . .

It's better to know where you can dive recreationally or professionally as a US Citizen, and your emergency resources covered by tax supported Gov't public programs like Medicaid, if you're a down-on-your luck diver that can't even afford secondary accident insurance like DAN.

My beef with DAN (and with @Duke Dive Medicine here on SB) is that they have a conflict-of-interest in this instance -->claiming that they are the go-to authority on what kind of emergency treatment a DCI patient should seek while trying to sell you their insurance product at the same time.

IMHO -All the info you need to seek and get emergency treatment is there if you're a diving casualty victim in the vicinity of these hospitals/medical center facilities listed in the OP. . .
I know you are trying to be helpful, but if I've got to choose between DAN and Kev Rumbo for my information and accident support strategy, I'll go with the former, especially if evacuations and payments (and non-US diving) are involved. You are fortunate to live/dive in a unique area; most of us do not have that benefit.

Medicaid, and Medicare, are each only available BEFORE an event, and only to certain qualified persons.

Putting together a list of providers that accept Medicaid is kinda useless unless you already are ON Medicaid, i.e. they are just one more insurance provider, for all purposes. That's like putting together a list of providers who take Cygna plans, isn't it?

I know you are trying to be helpful, but if I've got to choose between DAN and Kev Rumbo for my information and accident support strategy, I'll go with the former, especially if evacuations and payments (and non-US diving) are involved. You are fortunate to live/dive in a unique area; most of us do not have that benefit.

Medicaid, and Medicare, are each only available BEFORE an event, and only to certain qualified persons.

Putting together a list of providers that accept Medicaid is kinda useless unless you already are ON Medicaid, i.e. they are just one more insurance provider, for all purposes. That's like putting together a list of providers who take Cygna plans, isn't it?
No, because unlike private insurance plans, Medicaid is entirely Gov't tax-supported and has little to no insurance premiums or deductibles/co-payments etc -depending on how destitute you are- for covered medical health treatments & care here in the US.

So if Medicaid can cover 100% for HBOT in a DCI emergency casualty case for you as a US Citizen, the point open for discussion now is why then would you need to buy secondary accident insurance coverage like DAN?

(Btw, by Law the emergency facilities listed in the OP have to treat you with HBOT as needed for DCI -whether you are insured and the ability to pay, or not).

So if Medicaid can cover 100% for HBOT in a DCI emergency casualty case for you as a US Citizen, the point open for discussion now is why then would you need to buy secondary accident insurance coverage like DAN?
(1) Medicaid is not always applicable, (2) not everybody is a US citizen, (3) not everybody dives in the US, (4) sometimes you need to evacuate to the HBOT treatment, and (5) it is nice to have a knowledgeable 3rd party advocate like DAN as part of the discussions about diagnosis and treatment.

Any other questions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom