US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am following the situation as I have a trip planned for the week following Christmas. I on the other hand have not been there. I am following this on this board because I want real information. Not the material that comes from some writer in NY or CA that isn't there and has no idea what is actually happening there. I am looking for information from both sides as I know the media in the US spins their story and the resorts will spin theirs. I am trying to get information from people that have "boots on the ground" and can tell me what it is like. For me information from the US media and resort owners in Honduras is not totally discredited just looked at with a shade of suspicion. Real people with real experiences there is what I am looking for.

My guess would be that if your trip is solely to Roatan, you should be ok unless there is some kind of civil unrest at the time of your trip.

My trip, on the other hand, includes a stop on the mainland, and thus I feel I need to pay closer attention to the situation as a whole before I purchase plane tickets and such.

While I do agree that a reporter in NY or DC may not have direct eye witness knowledge of what is going on, news outlets do rely on reporters that are on the ground in Honduras from various news agencies such as AP, Reuters, and such.

And while I do also agree the everyone has an agenda and thus everyone spins everything in their direction, the media (old and new), while imperfect, is the only thing we got to have an idea of what's going on in the world.

So, taking things with a grain of salt and diversifying sources is a good thing, but throwing away the baby with the bath water is really not the solution in my opinion.

I too am following the situation as I have a trip planned for the week following Christmas. I on the other hand have not been there. I am following this on this board because I want real information. Not the material that comes from some writer in NY or CA that isn't there and has no idea what is actually happening there. I am looking for information from both sides as I know the media in the US spins their story and the resorts will spin theirs. I am trying to get information from people that have "boots on the ground" and can tell me what it is like. For me information from the US media and resort owners in Honduras is not totally discredited just looked at with a shade of suspicion. Real people with real experiences there is what I am looking for. I do not trust our government much as they have been known to put their spin on things. And no, that remark does not just cover the current administration, I am not pleased with the goings on since the Reagan administration so don't blast me about that. I want the real news not some politically spun to make it look the way they want bull*****.

I will now quiet down and look for what I can determine to be the truth and actual information from the area.

I was just on Roatan at AKR and everything was great, well, except for being attacked by bugs. I still itch. Bring the best, multi-chemical bug spray you can find.

I have no experience with events on the mainland, but did get some information from Roatan locals that indicated things were slowly deteriorating there, mainly economically. It appears that the "coup" has been an excuse to not work, with several industries, like lobster fishermen, refusing to work.

Another source of information you might want to follow is:

Honduras News

Right now I would take 77 cents per hour to lobster dive. I'm getting a bunch of IOUs from California, which quite frankly, taste like sh|t.

That is funny. :rofl3:

Agilulfo, what does the average lobster fisherman make in South Africa, Vietnam, Mexico, Belize, ETC.....

I wasn't in Honduras, or the bay islands when this went down, but from what I am getting, (from "boots on the ground" not resort connected source) it was blown completely out. Everyone of the posters that have been accused of "Come on down the water is fine" has made statements to the effect of "you are responsible for understanding your risks and making your decisions".

I have traveled a bit in the world and happen to be part of a real "Coup" the year was 1999, the country, Cote D' Ivoire, Ivory Coast in west Africa for the Gringos. I was in my apartment, making a sandwich when the first shots were fired. I didnt know it, at the time, but it was shots of celebration, the President had just been force to exile out of the country. It did however get my attention as three bullets managed to lodge in the ceiling of my place without breaking the windows. Learn something new every day, that day it was a ballistics lesson.

I was double wammied seeing as Y2K was happening in a week or so and I was part of the energy infrastructure and concern for technology was running rampant. It didnt help that the ministers that we had just finished convincing "Y2K" wasnt going to affect the country were all arrested, either formally, or house arrest. We had a week to convince/stay out of prison with the new government.

The next 2 months were interesting, during the coup, a large portion of the prison population was released, some in error. I grew up in the South, I hunted and have been around guns my entire life. It feels different when they are being used against people and haphazzardly in the process. I was within 20 feet of the windows when my apartment was hit, I watched 2 criminals get fatally shot one afternoon on my way back to the office, I watched the military control every major intersection, I saw the mass grave being reclaimed after it was discovered. That ladies and gentlemen was a Coup. As a matter of fact, it took several years to resolve, I believe 2007 was the year.

PS according to Wikipedia, I had to look up the end of the Cote D Ivoire problems, it appears that 25% of the population lives on $1.25 a day.

Despite what the world bank, X brand news, etc. has said, what happened in Honduras wasnt a coup.

I bet if you were getting paid "77 cents per hour," you wouldn't want to work either.

Is that before or after the 60% increase in pay? What is considered poverty level in Honduras? What is the median cost of living in Honduras? Is it the same for the Bay Islands? No flames now, asking questions that I think are relavant to a visit.

I was just on Roatan at AKR and everything was great, well, except for being attacked by bugs. I still itch. Bring the best, multi-chemical bug spray you can find.

I have no experience with events on the mainland, but did get some information from Roatan locals that indicated things were slowly deteriorating there, mainly economically. It appears that the "coup" has been an excuse to not work, with several industries, like lobster fishermen, refusing to work.

Another source of information you might want to follow is:

Honduras News

I am going to stay at AKR and unless things deteriorate more that they have at this point I still intend to do so.

I already have purchased cactus juice as I intend to be coated before I get off the plane. Someone here suggested that and I thought it was a great idea! Will also get something with lots of deet just incase this stuff doesn't work for me and the wife.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can look these things up with the Google.

you seem to know about the 77cent/hr wage, just thought you might know the rest of the stuff as well. Thanks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom