USCG Captains License??...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps a side job on a liveaboard.. is a good way to earn some time at sea??

Would that count?

...the same thing.

Not all "days" are working days when you're talking about sea time. The USCG appears to recognize that if you're on your own private vessel, not all your "days" will be 8 hours long, as you're not earning a living doing it.

It seems to make sense to me, but I haven't tried to actually implement what the various sea schools say about it.

As for the "private vessel time", there is a specific form for it, but I don't have the number handy. If you are getting credit for time on someone ELSE'S boat, then you need them to document it (I suspect that is the form you're talking about.)

The form 719-S does indeed ask for "average hours underway".

This is where the distinction apparently lies (they wouldn't ask if it wasn't used!)

(And as Don said, yes, if you had the time WORKING on another's vessel, it would count - e.g. as a deckhand.) I can't imagine that it counts if you're a paying passenger :)

Your sea time can be on your own boat and if not, a notarized signature from the owner is all that is needed. Any half wit who can get through one of the prep courses can pass the oupv and master upgrade exam. I know, I have a 100 ton and so do many others on this site I'm sure. The difficult part is not getting the license but getting the practical experience to find paying work. Licensed captains are like actors in CA, everybody's one (at least all the waiters). But like acting its difficult to find work without practical experience. And you can't get practical experience without working. All it takes is a little bit of time and some money and just about anyone can get a 100 ton master and be an official USCG captain. The important thing to know is that its going to take alot of time and hard work to become a working captain. Just my 2cents. Maybe some other "captains" will disagree, but i doubt it. Of course, maybe I can't find work because I refuse to take a drug test and like to drink at the helm. But I doubt that too.

Back
Top Bottom