Use of 12-50 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Like me many of us own and occasionally use the 12-50 but although it is a good lens with some macro ability I rarely use it. I always take it with me on trips but it is habit more than 'I will use the 12-50 for?'.

In a recent thread, I noticed Jim Lyle mentioned the 12-50 and it got me thinking that I might be missing something if I leave it at home in future.

Is its main use as a zoom with the gear ?

The 12-50 is my insurance that I won't see something I can't photograph. The 12-50 zoom gets me semi-wide and fish portraits. The add on gear allows turning on the lens' macro function. I hate opening the housing on the boat. The first boat dive, I use the 12 mm end of the zoom. The second dive, the 50 mm end and/or the macro function. A compromise, I know.

Last August, I was also using the 8 mm fisheye for WA and close focus WA. I also carried my TG6 for macro, just in case.

Thanks jim, I knew you are a long time user and I found it interesting what you use it for. I wondered if you had the zoom gear to make it WA to fish shot?

I have been using the 12-50mm since 2012 and it is the most used lens I have out of the three lens I own. It is a general purpose lens that I use when I dive in a place for the first time and not know what there is to shoot. Once I am familiar with the site, I may choose to use the 60mm or the 8mm later for a particular type of marine life or specific/dedicated type of shots but the 12-50mm is the "go to" lens in general. There are 2 - 3 other lenses I want to get but I'll have to have the $$ to buy the OM1 with housing first and then whatever lens I can afford afterwards.

I am thinking of making a post on SB with my most recent photo from Red Sea over the weekend.

I use mine quite often with an AOI zoom ring. For better or worse most of the shots [1] from my most recent trip are take with the setup, with the lens in "normal" (as opposed to macro) mode. I do use a diopter (inon UCL-165) for some closeup stuff.

I have a 30mm macro that I keep intending to use more, but I don't really have the discipline to say "on this dive no turtle or shark photos"

[1]: Itza Resort, Belize, March 2022

I don't really have the discipline to say "on this dive no turtle or shark photos"

That is generally the problem for me too. Too greedy to leave anything out :)

reminds me of 8 years ago, with 12-50 lens and semi dome port at the Jetty, Padang Bai., Bali.

reminds me of 8 years ago, with 12-50 lens and semi dome port at the Jetty, Padang Bai., Bali.

Looking at those shots, I am starting to see why you all use it so much. For a basic lens those shots are pretty sharp.
I always take it with me but only use it on sites like the wreck in Tulamben. I've dived the PB Jetty twice but always with the 60mm on.

Back
Top Bottom