Use of 12-50 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use mine quite often with an AOI zoom ring. For better or worse most of the shots [1] from my most recent trip are take with the setup, with the lens in "normal" (as opposed to macro) mode. I do use a diopter (inon UCL-165) for some closeup stuff.

I have a 30mm macro that I keep intending to use more, but I don't really have the discipline to say "on this dive no turtle or shark photos"

[1]: Itza Resort, Belize, March 2022
I _finally_ dove some reasonable number of dives with the 30mm, and am reasonably happy with the outcome. I did miss the 12mm wide end occasionally, but mostly the water was pretty clear so the extra working distance for fish portraits was not a big problem. This was a trip to San Salvador Bahamas and I was mainly taking pictures of macro stuff, where I appreciated the better autofocus of the 30mm vs the 12-50 with diopter.

Looking at those shots, I am starting to see why you all use it so much. For a basic lens those shots are pretty sharp.
I always take it with me but only use it on sites like the wreck in Tulamben. I've dived the PB Jetty twice but always with the 60mm on.
then it's time to return the PB jetty with 12-50mm for morning dive where the viz still good, and then 60mm for 2nd dive.
my next trip will be early October.

My lenses are the 12-42, the 12-50, the 30, the 60, and a WWL-1 to use with the 12-42.
I found the other combos so much sharper that I stopped using the 12-50 u/w and sold the macroport for it; it now only gets used on land. Most of my dives now are with the 12-42 with or w/o the WWL-1, or the 60 if it is a clear-water macro site, the 30 if it is not.

for topside I love the 12-40 f2.8 pro - great lenses; clear and sharp,
Wish I had one!

Wish I had one!
Yeah, they look nice. A bit heavy IMHO for walking around, but should not be a problem underwater. Does anyone know if there is a (reasonably priced) port for the PT-EP13 that fits the 12-40 pro?

??? Is that an OLY lens? I don't remember seeing it on the port charts or anywhere. I know about the 12-40 and the 12-45 but not 12-42.

??? Is that an OLY lens? I don't remember seeing it on the port charts or anywhere. I know about the 12-40 and the 12-45 but not 12-42.
Sorry, my mistake. 14-42 EZ Zoom.

Back
Top Bottom