used dive computers - can they be trusted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
I suggest you stick to Suuntos, if youre buying used.

Definitely avoid Cochran and Oceanic if you are buying used.

Good luck.

There's some advice that makes sense!

ChrisA:
The thing about computes is that they either work or don't work
It will either be as good as new or a door stop
Actually, it is not uncommon for computers to have significant depth errors. Usually this is simply caused by salt crystals on the sensor and a warm water soak will cure the problem.

Whether it is a used computer you are buying off E-bay, or your own computer that you have lovingly treated with care, you still need to periodically check the depth accuracy. The simplest depth check is to just compare with a buddies computer or an analog depth gauge.

I got some deals on ebay. OMS Eanx for $125, DR Nitek $100 and a Nitek 3 for $200 this year. All 3 performed flawless on 10 days of diving. I did get a Zeagle Status, 2 years ago on ebay for $50 and it died this spring when the battery was changed. I got about 30 dives on it before it died, about $1.25 per dive. Lucky maybe...

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom