USED Dive Shop Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n733lk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a newbie and looking at equipment options.

Is it safe to assume that equipment being sold by a dive shop has been properly maintained and prepped for resale? If the equipment is working well, why would they sell it? Silly question???? :dork2:

Are there Brands to stay away from?

Quality & Budget-Wise computer suggestions?

Is mask and snorkel brand important or just getting a good fit?

Thanks.

I'm a newbie and looking at equipment options.

Is it safe to assume that equipment being sold by a dive shop has been properly maintained and prepped for resale? If the equipment is working well, why would they sell it? Silly question???? :dork2:

Thanks.

Just my 2psi worth. The mask and snorkle, good fit is most important. As for the rental gear, I'm a bit fussy about that. IF it is the same brand they sell on the floor, I'm usually ok with it, but I'm not going to pay over 60% of normal retail for a reg. If you are looking for a bc, then I'm not going above 50%. Even then, they will have to give me a warranty of some type in writing.

Many dive shops replace thier rental dive gear every year to a few years. IF the shop is selling it, I would bet its in decent, usable shape. I would just ask them if fwhat you are planning to buy has been overhauled recently.

What brands would I avoid? Dacor and US Divers come to mind, but that's opinion only.

Many dive shops replace thier rental dive gear every year to a few years. IF the shop is selling it, I would bet its in decent, usable shape. I would just ask them if fwhat you are planning to buy has been overhauled recently.

What brands would I avoid? Dacor and US Divers come to mind, but that's opinion only.

Never assume anything but odds are the gear is serviced. Ask, the shop should be up front with you. Depending on age and condition, about 50% of retail is about all I will pay

On Dacor we agree but not on USD/AL. They are one of the oldest brands of dive equipment in the market. They have a good reputation of solid equipment and support along with with a world wide dealer network.

I wasn't saying that AL would be a bad choice, but the USD brand is so old that it's not even dive gear any more. They sell snorkeling gear, but I have never seen serious dive gear from them in years.

It depends on the shop, IMO. I've seen some shops gear I was appalled at, others' was top-notch. I would talk to divers who frequent the shop (and others) about the condition of the shop's rental gear.

Peace,
Greg

I've been all over this boat! I've been to dive shops where their rental gear is maintained well, rinsed by staff after every rental, maintained, and they replace their stuff every year or 2. Great place to get used stuff.
I've also rented from a place, that had I known what their rental gear looked like, I would have never rented from there. Their equipment was maintained, but things like the zippers broken, etc., really put me off. Everything served it's purpose, but I would never rent from them again, let alone buy anything used.
I know of another place that takes trades. The stuff they bring in, they will do inspections on, but you don't know what you're getting, as the shop does not even know much about the items former life. This place would depend heavily on what I was looking for, and if I could wait for a good piece in great condition.

So it really depends on what you're looking for, and the way the shop runs their rentals/used gear selection.

Shops sell off rental equipment periodically because they can purchase new gear at heavily discounted prices. Selling used equipment while it still has a fair amount of value allows the shop to recoup all or most of its initial investment in the gear. If you could sell off your old reg at 50% of the MSRP and then purchase a brand new reg for the same amount (or possibly less), wouldn't you jump at that chance? It's really a no-brainer from the shop's perspective.

As others have mentioned, don't assume anything, particularly with regs. Ask the shop when the reg was originally purchased and how it's been maintained. I wouldn't buy a used rental reg unless it had just been serviced and was guaranteed to function properly. Servicing for an out-of-warranty reg (which is basically any reg purchased secondhand) can cost $75-$130 including labor + parts, so you don't want to get stuck with that expense until you've enjoyed using the reg for 2+ years.

BCDs require less attention than regs. It's worth mentioning, however, that if you are going to be shopping for a used BCD or reg, you should know how to do comprehensive functional checks for the gear. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you should ask an experienced diver or technician to look over the gear before purchasing anything.
I'd recommend sticking with the major scuba manufacturers (Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, Atomic Aquatics, Oceanic, Mares, etc.) so that finding replacement parts and getting the gear serviced is not too difficult. Stay away from Dacor regs since finding overhaul kits for the now defunct company is problematic. Buy a brand that you can get serviced locally.
If you're on a budget, a dive computer that was formerly part of a shop's rental fleet could be a wonderful bargain. Typically, shops will rent out simple computers like the Suunto Gekko, which is a rock-solid performer. It's nitrox-capable, easy to read, easy to operate, uses a conservative algorithm (Suunto RGBM), has a phosphorescent screen (charged up by shining a light on it so it doesn't suck power from the battery), user-replaceable battery, and can be mounted in a console or on a wrist. An unadvertised feature is that, with the proper cable, dive profiles can be downloaded to a desktop/laptop computer. For the PC, this requires a small hack. For the Mac, no hack is required. What's not to like? I'd probably be willing to pay $100 for a used Gekko. The newer version of the Gekko (Suunto Zoop) can be purchased brand new and on sale for a little less than $300.
Buy the cheapest snorkel you can find. Stay away from expensive ones with "dry" gadgetry on them. I don't take a snorkel with me on most of my dives nowadays. It can get tangled in the long hose for my primary reg. Other divers prefer diving with a snorkel. To each his own, I guess. Most scuba instruction agencies require OW students to dive with a snorkel, so you'll probably have to take one with you during your class dives.
Get a dive mask that fits your face.

You should not assume that gear from a dive shop is serviceable, has been well maintained, or has been recently serviced. You should be able to inspect thew gear to determine for yourself if it is usable and for indicators of maintenance. Assuming it checks out as servicable, you can ask when it was last serviced. I have seen shops sellingt used gear at very attractive prices that the shop advertised was in need of a service. After all, the cost of a service add about $100.

Dive shops usually get training gear at steeply discounted prices, less than normal wholesale since it is also good advertising to new divers who should soon be gear shopping. Bad looking training gear is not good advertising for either the shop or the manufacturer, so turnover may be fairly quick. Even selling it a half the retail price, the shop is still making a profit after a few ears of use in training and then maybe a few more in rentals.

Unless the price is really dirt cheap, as about a warranty even if it is only 90 or 180 days. That may also be a good indicator of what the shop thinks of the gear they are selling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom