Used gear transactions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just curious what method people usually use to do transactions when buying and selling used gear here or other sites aside from ebay using paypal?

Has anyone ever found something on Craigslist that would need to be shipped because it's a little too far to drive? They have disclaimers saying that transactions should be made in person to prevent fraudulent postings. I found a good deal there, but would be unable to meet the person and I'm worried about paying them, but also don't expect them to be willing to ship to me before I send a payment.

I always pay for items advertised on Craigslist with cash.
I always meet up with the seller in person, preferably in a public place.
I wouldn't agree to a Craigslist transaction that would require shipping.
Either make the time to drive to the seller or pass on the deal.

One thing I did mean to say is that the person is not advertising to ship, nor did we discuss any sort of transaction, but I just see where they are located and know I would be unable to drive that far. If they were offering to ship straight out, I would definitely know to stay away from it.

The reason I am posting is that I know it's best to meet in person, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought of or used a method that proved relatively safe for both parties? I know craigslist is a little different from things on this site because this is somewhat of a community, but how are transactions with shipping usually conducted between individuals on this site?

I've purchased a few items advertised in the ScubaBoard Classifieds section by other SB members. Negotiations over the price occur via private message. Once a price is agreed upon by both parties, the buyer sends payment (usually via PayPal). When the seller receives payment, the item is shipped. Preferably, the shipment can be tracked via UPS or USPS. After the item is received by the buyer, the buyer leaves feedback for the seller and the seller leaves feedback for the buyer. Feedback is reflected in a user's trader rating.

Obviously, there's a certain amount of trust required between both parties to conduct the transaction. I try to purchase things from SB members who have a positive trader rating and actively participate on the site. This means I'm not going to buy something from someone who's first post is a ScubaBoard ad.

Why do you think purchasing the item site-unseen from the Craigslist seller in question will be a "good deal"?
It's probably a better idea to be patient and wait for a local deal to present itself.

compton384 you're gut instincts are right about C'list. Out of town "deals" are just too risky with -no- controls or protections. Once you send the money ... it's gone and really, there's just to much equipment out there that you can get great deals on with far less risk than you'll take buy sending some random C'list person your $$$.

I've bought a few grand worth of gear from SB members with zero issues, but I was cautious always doing my best to have personal contact with the seller.

Ebay can be good if you stick to sellers with nothing less than 99.8% feedback and a few hundred minimum sales in their feedback profile. You just have to do the research and know exact model numbers for what you want, and be sure to ask questions before you buy. If a seller has no reply for you up front of the deal, then it's not likely they'll be very good if a problem pops up with shipping of w/e.

Paypal is the way I've always done things online and I've had great success ... again with caution and solid communication before I paid. Paypal can offer some kind of a shot at getting your $$$ back, but there's no guarantees so your safest deal is the one you have great communication on up front.

What are you looking to buy from this C'list person? ... many of us have enough gear to start our own scuba store and can prolly hook ya up with none of that C'list risk.

I've never used C-list....only buy used gear via E-Bay (Paypal), or in a few cases from SB members (Paypal), using the same sort of screening criteria others listed above. I have no interest in meeting a total stranger in person, so not interested in C-list transactions.....and honestly, both SB and E-Bay offer such massive product selections/deal I see no need to worry about C-list anyway.

I'd also suggest meeting at a mutually agreeable LDS, which is a public place and can immediately check out gear for you if needed...also, some LDSs will act as a middleman where one can drop off gear so that others can come by and inspect it at their convienience.....I've sold some things at a LDS that way...let the dive shop handle the inventory, show the item to prospective buyers, and handle the $...the small fee the LDS may charge will be worth it.

One thing I did mean to say is that the person is not advertising to ship, nor did we discuss any sort of transaction, but I just see where they are located and know I would be unable to drive that far. If they were offering to ship straight out, I would definitely know to stay away from it.

The reason I am posting is that I know it's best to meet in person, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought of or used a method that proved relatively safe for both parties? I know craigslist is a little different from things on this site because this is somewhat of a community, but how are transactions with shipping usually conducted between individuals on this site?

I am a regular buyer and seller on CraigList - and I enjoy it. Yesterday I bought a speargun off of CL. I drove an hour away to pick it up, but we had already made agreement on the price. By the time he and I had talked, well over 1/2 an hour by phone (not email/chat), we felt like friends. After about 2 hours with him and his dive buddy, we plan to dive together. This has been my experience with CL. If I don't feel like I'm talking and dealing with a person who I could buddy with (within reason like experience/age/etc) - I don't buy. Sometimes I end up buying a batch of stuff because that is the way the person wants to sell it or I can get the better deal - hence I end up selling on CL.

There are a few times that I will buy "sight unseen" and against CL's recommendation. I have done this very few times and it has been a very positive experience. When I have received a BCD or fins (never a reg) it has been just as they said - maybe even better. I judged this by the discussion I had - long discussions about diving.

But here is a warning. If the deal is too good and they can't/won't talk about diving - I don't buy. I don't buy anything that I can't trust the integrity of the sell. What I'm saying - if I have any suspicion about buying "stolen gear" I will not do it. I will share a story. I was going to a professional seminar 2 hours away and saw a CL add close to it and arranged a meeting. These were two brand new Sherwood reg sets with air integrated computers. They started off at $350 and when we got talking, that was for both of them/together! But the guy knew nothing about diving and said that his dad asked him to sell them for him, but his dad was not available (and never was). By the time we really got talking, the price was $250. When he showed up at the seminar, he was all wiggly/fast talking and would have taken $200! Believe me, I was tempted - I'm looking at $1600+ of equipment for $200! But I put myself in the place of the diver who came back to his equipment (maybe on a beach) and found it gone. I passed it up and started to regret passing it up - but knowing at the same time that I did the right thing. However, I called up a good friend and told him the story. He said that he would have bought it, guilt would set in, and then he would have to spend the next month researching all the dive shops, etc, trying to find the rightful owners. I also thought, "what would I say to my dive shop when I asked them to service it?" I certainly would lose, before them, any integrity they used to see in me (as well as my own self respect).

This long answer is to say that I really enjoy CL and in some cases would send a bank check (allowing them to call my local branch or google me/my psychology practice) and they would mail me the goods.

The worse thing about CL is being the #2 caller/emailer/responder to a really great deal. Yesterday, I got the guy up just as I was getting up. I was the first caller from a post that he had put up late the night before. He took down all the numbers of the people who called after me, but held the speargun for 5 hours until I could get there. As I said, I bought the gun and made a dive buddy. Oh, the other bad thing about CL is being #1 and knowing that you should buy, but putting it off and losing the deal. I lost out on three 6 month old HP 3442 steel 100 tanks for $150 each. I really didn't "need" them - but after they were gone, I ended up buying another new one for $350!!! I knew the shop (my shop) the history/reason for the sell (stock crash/job loss/he had bought too much and needed cash fast). Still kicking myself.

If you do CL as a business, that's one thing. Personally - I look at CL as a way to share needs/mutually swap out stuff, share stories, and meet new dive buddies. If it's strictly a CL business transaction - I would only do it face to face or else deal with a reputable online company and pay a little more, or even better - buy from my local dive shop.

You asked about this site and how things are done. Well, for the most part, we are somewhat known to one another and are already almost "dive buddies". However, sometimes a slick person gets onto SB and slimes a bunch of people, but his reputation is now toast. Or a person comes onto SB just to sell something - usually wants too much or the deal is too good to be true. I've heard of a number of people being burned (but not as bad as CL). But when you're dealing with a regular poster or even a regular SB "buyer and seller" - well I've been 100% satisfied. But with CL - I personally have been 150% satisfied - especially when I end up with a whole batch of stuff (unlikely on SB) that includes extra clips, gloves, boots, lights, that I stockpile up and/or CL - hence the 150%.

Oh, and I do not have Paypal and have therefore never used it in hundreds of transactions. Only one time did a computer company require it and my HP engineer friend used his Paypal account for me. My age, 59 years old, is probably showing. :)

Last edited:
I've bought and sold a few things on here and it's practically a tailor-made market for scuba gear. Plus if there is someone that might be a problem, stuff that is overpriced or junk, or something misrepresented (not always intentionally) it's likely someone else will warn you. Also a good chance you can deal with people who have been around here for awhile which can help with the warm fuzzies.

I've never bought anything on Craig's list and I'm not sure I would if it involved shipping. I have sold a few things, including at least one that I shipped (though I was surprised to be asked.) For a remote transaction, I think it helps if you're buying something where condition is not subjective - which rarely appiies to dive gear unless it's new -then you have to wonder why they're selling it on Craiglist. Sometimes people that list scuba gear on places like eBay or Craigslist aren't divers and/or aren't very familiar with gear and it's value (or lack thereof) and can't give you good information if they wanted to, even if they're legit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom