Using DSMB as an anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is he taking his weight belt off for this purpose or using a second belt exclusively as the "person anchor"?
I think he really removes the belt
Perhaps the same thing could be done diving with weights both on the belt and in the BCD pockets, and using the weights in the BCD as anchor without removing the belt
Still I have never seen or heard of anybody doing this

I don’t get it. Why would you mess up a neutrally buoyant situation into a risky situation where you might zoom to fast ascent when the weight belt accidentally let go?

I've kind of done this when we were a ways away from our boat and the current was taking us in the wrong direction. We were only in about 30' of water, so I popped back down and tied my spool off on a big rock, then Mrs Stoo and I hung onto the line at the surface. It wasn't a strong current but we likely waited 15 or even 20 minutes to be picked up so we would have drifted a long way.

I suppose using your weight-belt as an anchor could work, but it wouldn't be my preference. (When I'm south I only use 7 pounds of lead in trim pockets anyway so it's not really an option for me anyway.
Similarly if the boat engine dies everyone in our crew knows to deploy the hook to arrest our drift.

We always dive with a live boat. Safer.

How is the boat staying in place?
He didn't say. I don't know if it is allowed by the rules of this forum to link other forums. If not you can ask me to send you by PM the link to the original post in the other forum

He didn't say. I don't know if it is allowed by the rules of this forum to link other forums. If not I can send you the original post by PM
You can link to another forum.

The post (actually #4) does not explain what is holding the boat in place. The reason I ask is that the normal method of staying near a boat during ascent is to hold onto whatever is holding the boat in place, like a mooring line or an anchor line.

I think he means he is far from the boat. He ascends using reel and line, uses the SMB as a signal and waits for the boat. Still the whole story sounds strange mmmh

I think he means he is far from the boat. He ascends using reel and line, uses the SMB as a signal and waits for the boat. Still the whole story sounds strange mmmh
As in live boat diving? If so, the normal practice is to send up the SMB, drift with it on ascent while the boat watches, and then surface. If the boat is going to pick you up anyway, why do you need to stay near it?

And how do you pick up the weight belt when you want to get it?

There was a reference to a Jersey upline earlier. I have never used or even seen one, but my understanding of them is that you use cheap, crappy line, tie it off to something permanent, and then cut it loose when you are done. That means there is no need to go back to the bottom to retrieve anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom