Using Meclizine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corrinne,

You mean you're weak? Id est you have problems carrying your tank and equipment back and forth from the shore? If so, that's certainly a valid problem -- I don't like lugging it all around, either, but it's just part of the deal.

Having trouble with ingress/egress due to a physical problem like a bad knee is understandable.

I personally love shore diving -- it's dirt cheap, I can easily do five dives a day, and I don't have to deal with being cramped up on a boat full of new divers flopping around everywhere. :)

- Warren

My buddy uses Scopalamine for seasickness. The patches are available over the counter. They were hard to get for a while due to some FDA objection.

Devjr - do they still work once they get wet? I have heard they are great.

Warren - we got a little lucky on the $$$$ side. On our OW cert the DM just bought a new 28' boat set up for diving. He likes us so we have gone with him the past few times. I agree shore is definitely cheaper than boat though!

Originally posted by devjr
My buddy uses Scopalamine for seasickness. The patches are available over the counter. They were hard to get for a while due to some FDA objection.

Hey devjr:

What patch are you referring to and in what country is it available OTC? As far as I'm aware, the Transderm Scop patch is available only by prescription in the US. It was withdrawn from the market by the manufacturer for a short period of time due to some quality control issues, but is available again now- by prescription. Is there some other patch you were referring to?

Iamdoodling, the Transderm Scop patches work underwater. There should be a fair amount of info about them on site already. Try a search on seasickness, meclizine, Dramamine, scopolamine, etc. and I think you'll find a lot.

HTH,

Bill

Ditto BillP. Transderm Scop has never been available OTC in the US. Nor have oral scopolamine or any of its gel forms.

BTW, best as I can recall the patch was withdrawn from the market due to manufacturing control problems in mid-1995 & not reintroduced until very late 1997.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

You guys are right. Yes, the patches were withdrawn for Q problems. My friend was able to get them once the problem was resolved.

Years ago, I had heard they were available over the counter, but withdrawn for the above reason. Must have been bad info or bad memory. I probably just assumed that he was getting the improved patch over the counter.

Apologies to lamdoodling, et al.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom