Using tables as backup to computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a weekend of diving I always compare my log info with
the padi or naui tables, to compare the data, and to see how close
I may have come to any depth or time violations, but if a computer fails,
the dive is over! I do a longer safety stop till most of my air is gone.
I usually never dive that close to any time or depth limits. Air or Nitrox!
Remember, staying wet! Is just Fun!
R.H.

Its pretty simple to go from computer back to the tables providing your diving your computer correctly in the first place. As Thal.. eluded to, you must know your adj ndls prior to each dive which you would retrieve from your computers dive planning mode. Then you would locate your rep group from your table based on that and all dives from that point forward would be table based.

FYI: I have very good dive buddy's, my 2 sons. We do compare our max depths and times after EVERY dive. All 3 of us are within 3-4 feet max depth and within 1 minute over the last 15 dives this year. Our NDR varies by up to 3 minutes. I am pretty comfortable with my opinion backed by this data.

If you're blessed with robotic guaranteed 100% perfect buddys then fair enough. Most real world dives however dont give you that either through having unfamiliar buddys or just stress of a situation.

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE put blind faith in a 3rd party underwater no matter who they are or what the situation is.

......but if a computer fails,
the dive is over! I do a longer safety stop till most of my air is gone.

just thinking out loud, but why would you do that?

I mean, if were to say be doing a local dive that you and I would know, like the Benson at 80 ft for example. I'm divin' it on air and I get about 17minutes into it and upon my most recent visit to the dive computer, I've found it's gone booty-up.

I think a responsible ascent followed by an optional safety stop of 3 minutes would suffice, wouldn't it? That would be a seriously long SS otherwise.

That reason of yours sounds strikingly Padi like, yet at the same time devoid of any common sense, but I repeat myself here.

That reason of yours sounds strikingly Padi like, yet at the same time devoid of any common sense, but I repeat myself here.
If you know that you're still in no-D territory I'd assume that you'd make your normal ascent.

If you know that you're still in no-D territory I'd assume that you'd make your normal ascent.

That was my thinking as well, but there seemed to be no provision for that choice with the poster.

If you're blessed with robotic guaranteed 100% perfect buddys then fair enough. Most real world dives however dont give you that either through having unfamiliar buddys or just stress of a situation.

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE put blind faith in a 3rd party underwater no matter who they are or what the situation is.

I understand your position. I assumme you dive with a full solo setup? (redundant everthing including gas, reg, gauges, timer, cutting tools, lift, etc....)

That was my thinking as well, but there seemed to be no provision for that choice with the poster.

Assuming that you are on air or nitrox and have not entered into any DECO, you could just thumb the dive, do a standard assent and safety stop, and exit the water. Now you have to figure out where on the tables you are. Again, assuming that you have not been logging all your dives for the past 24-48 hours, the practice I would tell you to do is:

A) Sit out 12 hours and go back to diving as a clear diver on tables

or

B) Set your entry back into the tables as a maximum non-deco for the gratest depth that you were just at. That means that if you are on old Navy Tables and did a 60' diver, you enter the tables at the 60' and 60 minute letter group.

If you think you are close to the no DECO limit for your depth, go into the tables at the no-deco limit plus 5 minutes, do the hang indicated plus a few and choose A or B above.

If you are into DECO, you should have already though about this and have your bail out plan. If you don't, don't worry, people like getting someone elses life insurance.

Assuming that you are on air or nitrox and have not entered into any DECO, you could just thumb the dive, do a standard assent and safety stop, and exit the water. Now you have to figure out where on the tables you are. Again, assuming that you have not been logging all your dives for the past 24-48 hours, the practice I would tell you to do is:

A) Sit out 12 hours and go back to diving as a clear diver on tables

or

B) Set your entry back into the tables as a maximum non-deco for the gratest depth that you were just at. That means that if you are on old Navy Tables and did a 60' diver, you enter the tables at the 60' and 60 minute letter group.

If you think you are close to the no DECO limit for your depth, go into the tables at the no-deco limit plus 5 minutes, do the hang indicated plus a few and choose A or B above.

If you are into DECO, you should have already though about this and have your bail out plan. If you don't, don't worry, people like getting someone elses life insurance.

No offence there Pete, but I didn't ask you what you would do. I asked the Hephburn fella why he would do what he said he would.

Personally I wouldn't do what you described either, but that is neither here nor there.

SNorman,
So now you know what you have to do right? Go out and buy yourself a backup computer and take it with you on every dive. :) If you change the battery regularly, you probably won't have any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom