Using unbranded underwater housings with cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Ikelite housing for a Canon S110, and I can report occasional sticking of the power button at depth (i.e. begins at around maybe 30-50 ft.), although I hear that this is common for this model line for Ikelite. It has never leaked or dripped in all of its 10 dives so far, and I am crossing my fingers. Apart from that, it seems to be a solid piece of equipment.

My thing about the "generic" housings is about the lens thread: the one I was trying at the shop would not (easily) accept a standard M67 lens, and it looks like the thread on the housing is sharper than what would be ideal. I had to gently and repeatedly screw-in and re-screw the lens to find the thread. I can imagine this to be much more challenging on an actual dive.

Another thing is the spring-type trigger -- the Ikelite lever is not the best I admit, but I think its better. I *think I feel the half-shutter still.

The Meikon housing I use for the 550D does not have threads on the port therefore no macro diopter can be mounted. You can however use an EF 50mm 1.8 and create a fake macro if you get close enough and open the lens to F2-2.8.

Hm.. not bad!! looks like something to try&#8230;even just for fun. Too bad that won't work on my housing >.< My t2i Meikon housing doesnt have screw mounts on the port :/

The really good thing about these meikon housing is the 67mm thread in front.
The rest if it is almost the same as the canon ones... And at a much cheaper price

The really good thing about these meikon housing is the 67mm thread in front.
The rest if it is almost the same as the canon ones... And at a much cheaper price
The housing for my S100 doesn't have a thread :(

The housing for my S100 doesn't have a thread :(

oh!! sorry mate. in my shores. there is a meikon similar housing that has a 67mm thread and hotshoe. i mistook it for the meikon one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My meikon housing has a hotshoe for a focusing light&#8230; haven needed one yet, at least @110' the T2i can still acquire focus using natural light. Where I'm diving its pretty clear water ( unless it rains way too much).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97663594@N03/13451173043/ from today T2i, 18-55mm kit lens. EXIF is on the flikr page

My meikon housing has a hotshoe for a focusing light… haven needed one yet, at least @110' the T2i can still acquire focus using natural light. Where I'm diving its pretty clear water ( unless it rains way too much).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97663594@N03/13451173043/ from today T2i, 18-55mm kit lens. EXIF is on the flikr page

Where Ive had use for focus light is night dives, thats where it come handy having it attached to the housing..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom