USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the same thing...Google Earth gave me 2300' from shore.

Since we don't travel without them, here's why we think of that as an easy cruise:

MonkeyDiveHawaii.jpg

All the best, James

I already travel with one expensive toy. I don't think a second is in my immediate future.

I did the same thing...Google Earth gave me 2300' from shore.

Since we don't travel without them, here's why we think of that as an easy cruise:

MonkeyDiveHawaii.jpg

All the best, James

Interesting picture.Thanks for sharing. :) Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of mounting the tank to one side like that ?

Sunset House, where we're staying that week, charges US$65 for a one-tank dive on Kittiwake, including the $10 entry fee. Sounds like their regular one-tank dive price plus the fee: Shop Price List Grand Cayman Hotelhttp://www.sunsethouse.com/rates_dive.php

Hope we can do Kittiwake as pat of our two-dives-a-day package, just adding the fee.

I was planning on diving on 7/30 with Divetech but I was quoted $105 for a one-tank Nitrox including park fee. For $65 plus $12 (for Nitrox), I can dive with Sunset. Not sure why Divetech is so much higher but it's not for me to help them with their pricing.

Sunset here I come.

Sunset here I come.

I just e-mailed Sunset House, asking them about their Kittiwake dives.

First, although they don't seem to have any reason to fear anything will go wrong, the ship isn't even there yet.

Second, they're planning on running their Kittiwake dives as separate afternoon one-tank dives (@ $65), rather than as part of their morning dive packages.

It was a 265 ft ocean tug, ith the capablity of sub rescue. I served on aboard her from 87 - 91, it has more concrete in her hull than I 75. But she had a fine crew.

I already travel with one expensive toy. I don't think a second is in my immediate future.
Yes, but think of all the $ you're saving on helium! That's a redeeming quality I'd think. All our expensive toys do is drag us around faster & further, and cost $ in airline fees.

Interesting picture.Thanks for sharing. :) Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of mounting the tank to one side like that ?

It's called "Monkey Diving" or "zero buoyancy diving" depending on who you talk to. It's much more maneuverable than regular scootering, and because there's not a lump of stuff on your back, you feel much more a part of the water.

Without a BC, a more skilled approach to weighting is required; you weight yourself so that you're slightly positive at the surface, but below ~15', the suit compresses enough that you're neutral. This frees you from constant buoyancy adjustments that would come from a BC, which adds to the freedom.

It's kinda like skilled minimalism.

...And fun!

All the best, James

Yes, but think of all the $ you're saving on helium! That's a redeeming quality I'd think. All our expensive toys do is drag us around faster & further, and cost $ in airline fees.

The other plus is I may not get there as fast as you do, but we've got more time to play around. Everything has it's tradeoffs. :)

It's called "Monkey Diving" or "zero buoyancy diving" depending on who you talk to. It's much more maneuverable than regular scootering, and because there's not a lump of stuff on your back, you feel much more a part of the water.

Without a BC, a more skilled approach to weighting is required; you weight yourself so that you're slightly positive at the surface, but below ~15', the suit compresses enough that you're neutral. This frees you from constant buoyancy adjustments that would come from a BC, which adds to the freedom.

It's kinda like skilled minimalism.

...And fun!

All the best, James

Now, if you would just get rid of the wetsuit ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom